An oak variant?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Dear all,
I recently found this type of of fruit (?). The tree might be an oak (according with the " Tree Coolins guide") but I can't find anything about the orange fruit. Can you confirm if it's an oak? Thank you

20141028_234741_resized_zps05afb6fb.jpg

20141028_234752_resized_zps23cac8e9.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, I suspect an oak gall - home to the larval stage of the gall wasp. Used to be made into ink.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
An Oak Gall - but a huge one!

Yup its an oak gall, dont often see them that large though

that’s because most are 'oak marble galls', that looks like an 'oak apple gall', there are different types

it’s an oak gall, however many are unaware that there are different types of galls, there are ''oak apple galls'' and ''oak marble galls'', name refers to size differential, oak apples are up to 40mm and oak marbles are up to 20mm therefore youre’s could be an oak apple gall due to large size. They contain larvae of the gall wasp of which there are different types. Incidentally there used to be a bank holiday called oak apple day that originated to celebrate the restoration of Charles II (because he hid in an oak tree)

Some info on types of galls:-

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/resources/research-curation/projects/chalcidoids/pdf_X/Willia2010.pdf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE