An extreme weather camp at Cribyn

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I'd been planning this solo camp for the past week. For the day prior, and on the day, I was having last minute nerves about going which probably didn't help the trip later on..

I set off from home at 3:30pm and was on my way from the Storey Arms car park at about 4:00pm. The fog was moderate with I would say about 20-30m visibility. At this point my nerves were gone and I felt that feeling you feel being on the mountains. I took it easy as I wasn't particularly concerned with time and I didn't want to get too hot and sweaty. I reached Pen Y Fan summit at around 5:40pm. On the way up, I had 2 groups of people, who were first timers up this mountain asking for directions down. I chatted with both groups and advised about learning how to use and carrying a map & compass.

At Pen Y Fan summit, the fog had gotten more dense so I took a bearing to Cribyn. There is a path to Cribyn but it was extra peace of mind. As I reached the ascent to Cribyn, visibility was now down to probably 10 or 20m. I had planned to camp on the ledge below Cribyn but the fog was now dense enough that I could not make out where the ledge was. I'd been climbing for a fair while and guessed that I had likely passed the ledge. So I got my map out and checked the altitude of the ledge- 720m. I took an altitude reading from my Suunto watch- 770m, so I knew I had gone too far. I descended until my watch showed 720m and I found the ledge where I was to camp.

I set up my new tent, a Hilleberg Akto, and I double pegged for peace of mind. The wind was constant and moderate, the fog was thick. I had full confidence in the tent as they have an extensive history and I have seen videos of the Akto in 80mph winds, but still it was a new tent to me so I was to be cautious. There was nothing to see out so I got straight into my tent, laid out my sleeping gear which comprised of a simple closed cell foam mat and my new Rab Neutrino 700 sleeping bag and then I put on some food.

At this point I was anxious and even though I had just completed a moderately difficult hike I did not feel hungry, but I knew that I had to eat to replenish energy levels. I fried onions and cooked a burger infused in a garlic seasoning that I had bought from a local farm shop and it was beautiful. I had a small pack of cherry sweets for desert. I just about had enough signal to send some messages to my girlfriend and received a voice note from my girlfriend and my son which was nice but strangely made me feel lonely. At about 9pm I decided to get some sleep as I was planning to leave at first sun. From here on it got progressively windier.

My anxiety was sky high, I couldn't relax and certainly couldn't sleep. This was the worst weather I had been out in, I was tired, I couldn't sleep and perhaps irrationally I felt I would rather be making my way back than stuck in the tent struggling to sleep, even though I knew the safest option was to stay where I was until first sun. So at about 1:00am I decided to pack up and get down the mountain.

I knew my location on the map and knew I was maybe only 10 or 20m from the path but the visibility was now so low that I could see my feet and maybe 5 metres ahead so I took a bearing to the path as in the opposite direction I was probably 10 or 20m from the cliff edge. I moved slowly and found the path, and took another bearing to Pen Y Fan although I knew I was following the path in the right direction as it was downhill. I reached Pen Y Fan, there is a short section of steep rock to scramble so I knew when I was there. Immediately I was hit with practically zero visibility and struggling to find any sort of path. So I stopped, took out my map and took a bearing to the Cairn. I knew if I could find the Cairn that I could take a bearing to Corn Du which would get me down and back on to the main path. I followed my bearing but I made a major mistake.. I should have taken a distance reading but I didn't. I could not locate the Cairn, that's how low the visibility was, I simply could not find it. I walked very slowly, one step and look around, there are cliff edges that would result in certain death. I could feel panic hit me so I stopped immediately, took a knee to gather my thoughts. I calmed myself down and thought logically. I could set up my tent at Pen Y Fan if needs be and weather it out until first light. I decided that I knew my approximate location so I was just to take a bearing from the map at Pen Y Fan to Corn Du and that should get me down. It did, I found the main path, I kept an eye on my watch to make sure I was descending, I was.

I kept left of the path as I wanted to walk around Corn Du which was much safer. The next hurdle was the other side of Corn Du where there's an intersection. There's the path that I'm on, a path back up to Corn Du, a path to Pont Ar Daf and a path that takes you on the Horseshoe circuit. Again, visibility was that low, I could not see all of the paths. So again I take out my map and take another bearing from the intersection to Pont Ar Daf. I'm walking blind with only my compass to follow. I start to feel myself walking up hill so I check my watch to confirm altitude- I'm on the wrong path! I turn around and follow the path back, I keep an eye on my altitude, keeping left on the path. Altitude levels out and then begins to rise so I know I must be on my way up to Corn Du. I summarised that If I could find the path up to Corn Du all I would have to do is turn around and keep right of the path which would take me down to Pont Ar Daf. My compass was already set on a bearing to Pont Ar Daf so I stuck to the right of the path, keeping an eye on my altitude, I was descending past the lowest point I had preciously recorded, I was on the right path! The rest of the walk down went uninterrupted bar the odd sheep which by the way frighten the life out of you as they seemingly appear from nowhere out of the fog! I made it down at about 03:30am and home by 04:00am.

I understand the risk I took, and that risk was potentially fatal. I have never experienced those conditions before and it was a real test of both my navigation skills and my mental resolve. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the little story and here are a few photos to compliment it..

The journey up started only moderately foggy..

But got heavier as we ascended..

Taking a bearing at Pen Y Fan..

The start of the ascent to Cribyn..

The shelf below Cribyn where I set up camp

Dinner..

My new Rab Neutrino 700 was lovely and warm, even a little too warm for current temperatures.

This was the moment I reached Pen Y Fan. Taking a bearing to the Cairn..

Taking a bearing at Pen Y Fan. As you can see, visibility is perhaps 5m max, it looked even worse in person.

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Bloomin brilliant adventure! These are the things that are sent to try us! You did well.

When the weather turns, it tests our resolve. Maybe staying in the tent until first light would have been the safest option, but I understand how your mind can work on you when you're alone.

Good navigation, a map and compass and the use of tech saw you through. Don't let the experience deter you for further adventures. If it were all sunshine and rainbows where would the learning come from......

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Bloomin brilliant adventure! These are the things that are sent to try us! You did well.

When the weather turns, it tests our resolve. Maybe staying in the tent until first light would have been the safest option, but I understand how your mind can work on you when you're alone.

Good navigation, a map and compass and the use of tech saw you through. Don't let the experience deter you for further adventures. If it were all sunshine and rainbows where would the learning come from......

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk
It's really strange, I've never felt loneliness like I did last night before. I'm going to say that my mental state was not 100% prior to the camp which affected the camp itself. Another day, a different state of mind and maybe I would have enjoyed the whole trip and stayed the course.

It hasn't deterred me, while the experience isn't exactly one you would purposely chose to be in, I enjoy being challenged, I enjoy being out of my comfort zone and I enjoyed putting everything I know about land navigating to the test. I didn't want to say in my original post but it's given me confidence in my abilities. I will never let that confidence lead me to purposely find myself in silly situations willy nilly, I'm too switch on for that but it's good to know that I can apply my knowledge and be rational and logical thinking in situations where it could save your life.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Very good on you for sharing this. It's a valuable learning experience for me to read about, exactly your thinking and reasoning behind what you did (all too in often omitted, whether intentionally or not, when things go awry).

With the priceless benefit of hindsight, would you have stayed in your tent, or do you still think your gut was correctly telling you that your camp was at serious risk?

Reactions: Dan00001

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Very good on you for sharing this. It's a valuable learning experience for me to read about, exactly your thinking and reasoning behind what you did (all too in often omitted, whether intentionally or not, when things go awry).

With the priceless benefit of hindsight, would you have stayed in your tent, or do you still think your gut was correctly telling you that your camp was at serious risk?
I know my camp wasn't at risk, and I knew it last night. I've watched countless videos of people camping in extreme winds, including one of an Akto in 80mph winds, and I knew I was nowhere near those wind speeds. My mind just got the better of me. While it was more dangerous and I knew it, my anxiety subsided when I decided to pack up and head down. I would say it was irrational for me to leave in hindsight, but I did have the idea in my head that I had my tent and sleeping bag so could set back up if I found myself in difficulty. I also knew that probably 90% of the way down had a path to follow.

I have been pondering over these questions myself all day.

Reactions: hughtrimble

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
To answer your question though, If somebody in this position was asking me should I stay or get off the mountain, I would say stay as that is the safest option.

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I like to have a Garmin GPS unit (and spare batteries!) with me in the mountains in poor viz as a backup to, or assistant to, my map and compass. It's a paper map also, not one on my phone!
I have been thinking about adding a gps unit to my kit. I've never actually used one so would like to have a go.

Kirsty

Oct 2, 2017
Hebrides
Thoroughly enjoyed your adventure, impressive navigating, I am inspired to stop talking about doing it and finally learn some skills. I could relate a little as a couple of kayaking experiences have taught me that not being in the right mindset can distort things considerably, even if being slightly 'off' doesn't seem consequential at the outset.

Reactions: Dan00001

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Thoroughly enjoyed your adventure, impressive navigating, I am inspired to stop talking about doing it and finally learn some skills. I could relate a little as a couple of kayaking experiences have taught me that not being in the right mindset can distort things considerably, even if being slightly 'off' doesn't seem consequential at the outset.
Thank you, glad you enjoyed. I'm still getting an adrenaline rush thinking back at it. I just couldn't bear the thought of being up all night with no sleep.

I can recommend this book, Land Navigation by Wally Keay, about £3 on ebay, though there are loads of books on navigation available so have a look around. I would also absolutely 1000% recommend 'The Map Reading Company' on YouTube. He is both fantastic and entertaining, and you will learn a lot from his videos.

Reactions: Kirsty

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
One thing I found annoying with my mirror compass is every time I checked the compass, I would be blinded by my head torch reflecting back at me. I could close the mirror sort of two thirds shut which would slightly constrict my view of the compass and cast a shadow, I just found it a little annoying so I've ordered a Silva Expedition 4.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE