An Expedition to deepest darkest...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
...Hull

Ok, not as exciting as some of the journies some on here have gone on, but as a starting point it was wonderful :D

I took the boys (10 years and 8 years old) out to the local wooded area, an old chalk quarry that's been given over to nature managed by the local community wardens as a nature park. We set off at 4pm, before it got too dark, with the intent of just staying until it got dark. The boys had never been in the woods after nightfall and this was a perfect opportunity.

The heavens opened as we reached the woods, but our spirits were high we found a sheltered place to set up 'camp'. I had deliberately led them round in circles to confuse them as to just how close we were to the path that led home ;)
we settled in with the boys finding a few sticks and twigs to burn in the tincan cooker I had made. They were really looking forward to a hot meal by the time they sat down again.
I found my 'traditional firelighting skills' (bic lighter and cotton wool :lmao: ) worked really well, even in the damp atmosphere. The boys watched with awe as the sticks they had helped collect were consumed by flickering flames.
Then came the first and only real problem... My can opener on my penknife went pop and refused to be part of the proceedings :rolleyes: So I had to open the cans of beans with the rest of my penknife in a stab and bend fashion (don't go pale, yes I'm talking to you at the back :p ) the old cheap penknife did a great job.

The beans cooked up a treat on the tincan firepit, and the boys learned a new way of opening them (look on the bright side LOL )

Funny how even canned beans taste better cooked over a flame in the woods isn't it? :D

After the meal we reset the 'camp' back to the way it was, no trace of our being there and headed slowly home.

I'm looking forward to taking the boys out again, but I think I'll get a tarp in case of rain next time ;)

Greywolf

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Greywolf said:
...Hull

Ok, not as exciting as some of the journies some on here have gone on, but as a starting point it was wonderful :D

I took the boys (10 years and 8 years old) out to the local wooded area, an old chalk quarry that's been given over to nature managed by the local community wardens as a nature park.

Funny how even canned beans taste better cooked over a flame in the woods isn't it? :D
Greywolf

Can you use the area for an overnight stay. Or is it "strictly for the birds" :)

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Unfortunately it is 'just for the birds'

But as a first for the boys it was a big adventure. They wanted to stay overnight, even if they were a bit spooked by the 'night sounds' that were mainly caused by dogwalkers LOL

Once we get some transport we can go a bit further afield and find a place for overnight ;) But for the time being we are learning together in short bursts :D

They have a no fires policy at the wood, so we had to cook using the tincan firepit (ok, so its an empty new potatoes tin with holes poked in it and a bit of coathanger to put the pot on top) :lmao:

Greywolf

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Greywolf said:
They have a no fires policy at the wood, so we had to cook using the tincan firepit (ok, so its an empty new potatoes tin with holes poked in it and a bit of coathanger to put the pot on top) :lmao:

Greywolf

More than adequate, I'd have thought....and "Green" to boot :)

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
It actually worked better than I thought it would.

I had half expected to have to stop off at the chippy on the way home ;)

I'm teaching the boys Bushcraft, but I'm only one page ahead of them in the 'Bumper book of Bushcraft' :lmao:

;)

Greywolf

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
One page ahead or one sentence, they'll be thankfull all the way.
And when they do catch up - imagine what it would feel like at their age to teach their Dad a new skill.
It sounds like an idillic start that you are giving them - well done to you all.

Ogri the trog

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Greywolf said:
I

I'm teaching the boys Bushcraft, but I'm only one page ahead of them in the 'Bumper book of Bushcraft' :lmao:

;)

Greywolf

My son is already telling me what to do...and he's normally right ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE