An elegant design...for a mystery purpose!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a tricky thing isn't it.

Confession time, I would never have understood it without explanation.

The problem it addresses is, most gate hinges are a "pin and eye" affair. Where the post has two upward facing "pins" and the gate two eyes that hang on them to form a hinge.

However if you lock your gate, any scallywag can just lift the gate off it's hinges and swing it on the lock.

So this is an "anti lift" lock for gate hinges/ Just drop it over the pin and padlock it - stops people just lifting a locked gate off its hinges

The picture below shows a gate on the left and post on the right

4051530192_1cf3976870_o.jpg

Such a simple solution - for years people have drilled and put bolts through the pin, driven and bent spikes over to stop it etc. This stops it but allows the system to be unlocked and the gate removed for access or maintenance.

Well.....we liked it :D

Red

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have always just reversed one of the hinges pivots anywhere we thought folk might lift the gate off. Takes a moments extra thought when hanging the gate and the gate is not removable.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Always an option that certainly Robin - we liked the option of being able to for maintenance etc. The couple of quid for the "anti lift" struck as an elegant solution.

Red

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

The problem it addresses is, most gate hinges are a "pin and eye" affair. Where the post has two upward facing "pins" and the gate two eyes that hang on them to form a hinge.

However if you lock your gate, any scallywag can just lift the gate off it's hinges and swing it on the lock.

So this is an "anti lift" lock for gate hinges/ Just drop it over the pin and padlock it - stops people just lifting a locked gate off its hinges

Such a simple solution - for years people have drilled and put bolts through the pin, driven and bent spikes over to stop it etc. This stops it but allows the system to be unlocked and the gate removed for access or maintenance.

Red

Problem with those locks is that you can break the shackle at the ground in cuts using only a short bar through the shackle and a set of molegrips or the same bar and a swift bat with a hammer.

I've had to do it a few times on site when someone's forgot the key.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Agreed - thats a web picture :)

Whilst no expert I favour this type for hasp use as they are far harder to "hack at" or get a lever in

3935262560_713b35a7b6_o.jpg

They won't make the "span" on the two eyes though. Someone in the know suggests this type

Squire_wl1_b.jpg

Not going to spend a fortune as I'm not after "Fort Knox", just enough to deter the "opportunists"

Red

Problem with those locks is that you can break the shackle at the ground in cuts using only a short bar through the shackle and a set of molegrips or the same bar and a swift bat with a hammer.

I've had to do it a few times on site when someone's forgot the key.

or a pointy bit of hacksaw blade and allen key ground down
cheap ones just need the hacksaw blade to leaver the cross slide :D still use the lock and replace it etc unharmed

mind you the advent of reasonable and cheap battery angle grinders makes most padlocks pointless

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Agreed - thats a web picture :)

Whilst no expert I favour this type for hasp use as they are far harder to "hack at" or get a lever in

3935262560_713b35a7b6_o.jpg

They won't make the "span" on the two eyes though. Someone in the know suggests this type

Squire_wl1_b.jpg

Not going to spend a fortune as I'm not after "Fort Knox", just enough to deter the "opportunists"

Red

I'm no expert either, but those ones you show look a lot better.

Like I said, I have had to break locks at work (to be honest I quite enjoy it:eek: ) when someone forgets a key on site.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A simple shim is the way around most padlocks, you don't even have to touch the keyway. I was amazed at how simple locks are, no wonder so much stuff gets nicked. One of the locksmiths was sent a thumb turn lock for a door and it was made by ICL and is supposed to be unpickable. It has a special notch that stops the lock being snapped at the thrower and has special stuff in the keyway that supposedly stops the pins being bumped and a whole load of security pins in there to contend with. Sounds impossible to defeat? The locksmith had defeated the lock within 30 seconds of getting it with a single piece of piano wire and sent it back as being next to useless!

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Folks, even though it can be defeated -- almost any security device can be defeated -- let's not lose sight of Red's fundamental point: it's an ingenious and simple design.

Red, thanks for showing us -- I had never seen one of these before and I agree it's clever.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad it provoked a discussion - always happy to hear peoples views. I do agree that there is no such thing as "secure" just "more secure" ( I speak as a bloke who had to turn out to a ram raid done with an articulated lorry :eek: ).

Its an odd fact of rural life that you do have to think about security these days. My gaff is never going to have the half a million quid of high tech machinery in a barn that some do, but I've known too many farmers who have had pikey invasions, gear nicked from outbuildings etc. not to at least give such matters passing thought (at least enough to deter opportunists)

But, as I said up front, as a retro fit item and for those of use not experienced in hanging gates etc. I think its a neat idea - especially as dialling 357 is frowned upon in this country ;)

Red

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think always the best way to deter some git from breaking in is to have boots on the ground, most bad guys will think twice over either a well trained dog or a handy chap on the ground. Unfortunately for chaps like Tony Martin it backfired on him. Similarly I was told that although we had permission to put razor wire on our roof in Glasvegas that if they hurt themselves we'd be in court. :(
Nothing is people proof at all, if someone really wants in they will get in. The best we can do is hide it, or make it an unatractive and long proposition to get it. This goes for physical and intangible things. Though the sneeky appraoch is fun... Putting a sheet of flexible lexan sheet not to far inside a skylight, so that they bounce off and out when they try and jump through will work and good, a clever git will get through.... well maybe the second one will.:rolleyes:
GB

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border

Red

There is an even simpler one - just mount the top bracket upside down, simples! Hope they didnt cost you too much Hugh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE