An appeal to the leather working Gurus

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Hello. A little question for the leather workers out there. I made a knife and sheath for a friend as a christmas present. I left the leather undyed with the intention of doing that once the owner had decided on a colour. As it is, she is happy with the natural colour. The sheath is 3mm veg tanned and will probably be a user on Cub and Scout camps so I'm expecting it to get wet and muddy. What would be the best finish for the sheath?

Thanks Guys and Girls.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Evenin' Ben.

You'll likely get many different answers to this one.

I aint any sort of guru on leather or otherwise, but here's one of mine from a bit back.

As you see, undyed...just a light coat of a beeswax wood finish as a sealer, then just ordinary neutral shoe polish. It works fine and dosnt darken.

Mora.jpg

Ceeg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'd agree with Ceeg. Seal it with beeswax polish then neutral shoe polish. If it's used a lot outdoors in the sun, it may take on a lovely natural light tan after a while.

Eric

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Life is looking easy so far, I don't have to make a decision! Thanks fellas.

Seagull, I haven't seen that picture before. Very nice. Interesting shape and details. One of yours?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've used this on a few of my odd's and end's but it does darken the leather a bit and you have to apply it sparingly, you don't get the full effect immediately, it takes a day or so to develop a finish which, in my case:rolleyes: led to applying too much and ending up dulling an axe mask which I cant seem to buff up now.
I tried it on an old, hand made, leather briefcase and it did a wonderful job. Basically, have a go on a bit of scrap to get the hang of it.

On the down side it smells a bit like lard! apparently it's made from rendered moo cow feet.
Jack Hargreaves quoted an old bit of wisdom, I think his old man taught him:
"mineral oil for metal, linseed oil for wood and neatsfoot oil for leather
in other words; like for like.

anyway, just an idea;)
Regards
R.B.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have always baked in a cool oven and hot dipped in a 50-50 mix of bee's wax and neatsfoot oil to seal and harden. From memory I got this from either Loveless 'how to makes knives' or from over on BB.

What do the rest of you think about hot dipping?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hot-dipping is a good, long term seal, but it will darken the leather. I use hot wax/oil mixture on most of my leather stuff, but i don't actually dip the leather in the mixture as the heat can effect the leather, i gently heat it, warm up the leather then brush it with the mixture. when it's dry it buffs up beautifully.
Baggins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE