An apology to Muddy Paws (and Kepis)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Google ‘’Stainless Steel Mixing Paddle’’, there are a number of stainless steel long handled (up to and over one metre in length) paddle-ended cooking/stirring paddles made for large cooking establishments etc where large quantities of food are cooked. They cost from approx £20 to over £100 depending on which item. Google ‘mixing paddle’ and you will find various suppliers and varieties to choose from.

Oh they exist, I've certainly found some that might work. Just not found one that made me go "ooh, I like that".

My mash tun at home isn't that big (compared to the one at work anyway), but it's big enough for the mash to break lesser spoons.

Julia

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Oh they exist, I've certainly found some that might work. Just not found one that made me go "ooh, I like that".

they sure do, though cooking establishment needs usually prefer practicality over looks, this one is 152cm long and about £58, there are shorter ones of course as well. ATB.
shopping

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Hello Red.

I think that your spoon looks very fetching in "sloe pink"
Anyway, when that Hazel was chopped down by the council it could have been unceremoniously chipped and left to rot. Instead it was crafted into an item of true utility, and will spend its afterlife with someone who appreciates it, making many delicious hedgerow concoctions.
I think it's what the tree would have wanted!

Aside from the staining, how are the spoons holding up in use? Nothing that I have made for my own use has ever had to stand up to such heavy use.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Really well mate - occasional rub down with wire wool as the grain lifts and some abrasion to the bottom flat surface because of me constantly getting them hot and damp and dragging them over the bottom of the big pans to avoid food sticking!

The staining happened making sloe jelly....

Stewed to pulp by British Red, on Flickr

The pan was a bit full and trust me,, five gallons of stewed fruit needs two hands to stir :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE