Amsteel 3/8 (9mm) 4 meters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Anyone know where I can get a short length of Amsteel 3/8 or similar 10mm rope?

I'm looking at 4 meters? ID prefer rope than wire.

This is for a home gym pulley so doesn't have to be a safety standard, just no stretch and strong enough to lift 60 KG.

Thanks

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Not Amsteel, others may know of where to get Amsteel.
However if you look at Chandler stites you can get rope of similar capabilities, cant recall what its called I purchased so few years back for a hammock build, I shall have a look and see if I can point you towards something. random chandlers in Kent, Dynema is crazy stong like Amsteel theres a size chart Diameter vs Kilo rating on that page in a drop down. there may be other types ropes if you need a specific diameter for another reason.
https://www.piratescave.co.uk/dynee...rol-line-evo-rac.html?id=153558434&quantity=1

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Amsteel, as a brand, doesn't appear to be available in the UK, except perhaps via some very small sellers who have imported a roll or two from the US.

Not sure if 12-braid Dyneema splicing line is the absolute best for a gym weight machine. All rather over-spec to move 60kg ;) 6mm Dyneema is can be rated over 1500kg .

I would probably look at this stuff first.

I have bought rope of one kind or another from all these and been satisfied with price and service.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Yes I was going for extreme as I am going to knot it both ends.
How about this?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
:)Yes I need a bit of overkill as the floor is not so strong, cant risk breaking and going through.
I think my pulley system would bust before the cord tbh.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
As a rule, nylon stretches more than polyester, which stretches more than Dyneema, but the 10mm nylon you show looks to be the sort of static line used for climbing, and at 10mm there will be lots of margin. Should knot well.

12-braid Dyneema does not knot well, the fibres are slick and knots tend to slip. It should be spliced. If removal is needed, a soft shackle could work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE