Amazing footage of persistence hunt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I searched for this after my memory was jogged by the thread about the irresponsible client taking an inappropriate shot and wounding a calf.

The client showed a serious lack of respect for his quarry.

Contrast that with the respect shown by the bushman to his prey in the clip below. It is quite a long clip, but staggering and quite moving (for me anyway.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpo_mA5RP8

Apologies if this clip has been posted before.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Top work by Attenborough and team, we really will miss him when he has gone, not that it is all him but his name pulls the money in to do these things so well. Bet the camera man was jiggered after running all that way with full kit.:)

the helicopter aerial shot and the vehicle tracking shot (maybe david's piece to camera too) were clearly filmed at a different time to the main part of the segment, but it seems that a cameraman did actually have to keep up with him for the full 8 hours. maybe several did it in relay from a landcruiser running behind them or something, because for a westerner- however fit- to keep that up in those conditions with all his kit would be some extreme endurance.

and i too liked the part with the trainers; highlighting that this is a viable and ongoing way of life, even in the late 20th/early 21st century.

excellent piece of film, like the majority of attenborough's stuff. i've favourited it now, so i can find it again.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thank you sincerely for posting this, I've never seen it - actually never heard of it.

A deeply moving, almost spiritual, piece of film.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
...... sorry can't see Youtube where I am but I think this is the kudu persistence hunt form the "Life of Mammals" series ("food for thought" episode)? If so then I think it was filmed by the UK's very own Simon King of spring watch/autumn watch fame.

According to his autobiography he trained for quite a few months before heading out to film it with the idea of "trying" to keep up - however - he said in reality he didn't last too long! In the end I think he raced ahead and would then intercept the bushman -film for a bit and then race ahead. The final scene where the hunter approaches the kudu you'll notice the camera work becomes a bit wobbly. Mr King had literally just arrived on the scene the same time as the bushman arrived - he had just jumped from the 4x4 and run across to catch the moment.

Amazing piece of footage - very emotional.

Simon King has done some amazing work in his time - most of it behind the camera. He also shot the great white sharks leaping out of the water in slow motion for the planet earth series. Another stunning piece of footage.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The San are an incredible survival of the ancient in this modern world.
I have met some - in more urbanised settings - and have found them some of the nicest people. Unfortunately they are becoming separated from their traditional life, thanks to the modern world forcing its way in, and it is heartbreaking to see them fighting a losing battle to understand their place in a world that has changed beyond their comprehension.
Nomads or semi-nomadic people, forced to live in one place: hunters, banned from hunting : spiritual people, subjugated by the ungodly.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE