Always check your backstop!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Why one should always check ones backstop!

[video=youtube;UFq6IvLiYks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=23&v=UFq6IvLiYks[/video]

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
How many no win no fee lawyers have called the drummer bloke so far do you reckon? :rolleyes:

That's some serious weight and momentum hitting him there!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
As a knife and axe thrower this has been all over our facebook feeds today as you can imagine.

It's abject stupidity. The backstop isn't high enough for that type of axe. It's a tricky axe to throw anyway certainly not suited to a beginner as this guy obviously is.
You never ever have anyone forward of the thrower and you keep the area behind clear (for some distance, the longer the better)

The drummer has been identified and thankfully got hit with the top part of the axe. He did receive some cuts to the wrist as it fell down his arm but apart from a change of underwear is otherwise unharmed.
Stuff like this gets my mad up as it gives throwers a bad reputation

ArkAngel
(member of Knife, Axe and Tomahawk Throwing Association UK <KATTA UK> and International knife throwers hall of Fame. Certified Master Knife Throwing Instructor from International Knife Throwers Hall Of Fame )

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I just watched this then shouted to an empty room "You effing idiot!!". As a part time Tomahawk thrower even I know you never have anyone/thing behind your target. I just well...err.... I'm lost for words this twit has dumbfounded me.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What a stupid place for the band to be placed. Just goes to show everyone is responsible for their own personal safety , don't just accept , question and think.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's more a stupid place to put a target. There is no secure safety area behind it at all. It's in a public place, and the onus is on the thrower not to be a danger to others rather than the public having to be concerned about a demo going amiss.

I don't think I've ever seen such a poorly sited target, tbh. Usually the knife and axe throwers are beyond careful to make sure that no one can be hurt with their skill practice.
This video gives them a bad rep that most do not deserve.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I got thw impression that there was a chap doing the.demo and the reporter was "giving it a go for the viewers".
Still doesn't excuse the poor sighting though. Reporters and camera crews seem to cause havoc whereever they go. Remember when I did javelin many years back some dunce running out into the field and getting one through.the calf as it skipped.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE