Alum

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
I have been searching the internet and local shops for alum and can not find any anywhere. I am wanting it to tan a rabbit skin but would like more then enough for one skin as i plan to get more. Dose any one know an internet source of dose anyone have any they would like to sell/trade me.

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
I was under the impression that it was quite a cheap way of doing it until you showed me the price is there an alternative way to tan skins so that the hair does not fall out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tan them. That works, just don't leave them hanging around dead or wet first though.
Brain tanning is good, so is the washing machine method....I suppose it depends on what you finally intend to do with the skins.

The best commercially tanned skins in Scotland are made down at Carradale and they use powdered acacia bark for the tanning solution.

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I cant remember.

All I reccal was he was a regular chemical dealer, so search for `alum` and see what you get

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"so is the washing machine method" Toddy
That isa new one to me!
How does that work?
Will my wife still love me if I use her new washing machine?
Details please.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, now that I don't know :rolleyes: Mine cleaned out fine after the deerskin though.

I was doing some research into Inuit clothing for a seminar presentation and came across a 'new method' they employed to tan skins. Inuit are incredibly capable people and they fully appreciate gadgets. The are also incredibly practical.
So, anything that helps cut down labour and still produces a good quality product is considered a good thing.

Scrape skins clean of all visceral tissues. Bung it into the washing machine with biological washing liquid and wash cool, but, make sure to add 3 or 4 times the normal quantity of fabric conditioner.
Haul out the skin after a decent spin (set washing machine to hot, add biological liquid and let it do an empty boil wash and that'll clean everything fit for use for normal stuff afterwards) stretch skin as usual, but as it dries rub in masses of handcream (avon skin so soft smells good years later ;) ) into the skin side and when the skin is almost dry start to work it. It will still need a lot of work if you want a soft handling skin but the result is beatiful. It's really just a rawhide method but no brains needed.....if I make myself clear :)

cheers,
Toddy

This is my basic process:

1)Flesh and dry or wet scrape hide

2)Prepare sloution of egg yolks ( i have used the whole egg as well and didn't really notice a difference, if you try both and find one way works better than the other I'd love to hear about it) mixed with a small amount of warm water. - for the squirrel I only used one egg and maby a 1/4 cup of water. for the fox and ground hog I used 6 eggs and about 1 1/2 cups of water

3) rub solution with hand into side of hide with out fur for several minutes.

4) wrap hide in slightly moist towel with another egg worked into towel and sit over night

5) lightly scrape off egg residue and sew any wholes

6) work between your hand or over rope until dry and soft.

7) smoke hide

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE