alternative weapons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i was wondering if we could approach this topic from a solely educational way.

i was wondering if there are any alternative hunting weapons(not commonly know/used).
and if people know their legal status that would be great.
eg: cattapult, atlatl, sling, slingbow etc
i know hunting with a catapult is legal. but how about the others?
Loenja

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Catapult and sling are the only legal ones in that line up. Although, Iwouldn't want to hunt with a sling. Last time I used on of those, it wrapped around my head a few times before the stone clobbered me on the nose.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
the Bola always fascinated me , its really only useful on big game

so more than likely illegal but would be quite a humane kill as the prey is dispatched in a clean controlled way once it is down.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
Catapult and sling are the only legal ones in that line up. Although, Iwouldn't want to hunt with a sling. Last time I used on of those, it wrapped around my head a few times before the stone clobbered me on the nose.

same happens to me ;)

but i mean other weapons that i could plink with or just learn about

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm afraid that most improvised weapons are "Grand-temps verboten" in the UK.

Even some weapons that are common-place become illegal unless there is specific permission or you accidentally take the wrong prey.

Ogri the trog

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Since the 1960's bowhunting has been banned, not sure about bowfishing though.
I blame Errol Flynn for showing off his archery skills in Sherwood(AKA Busch gardens.

Last edited:

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
Since the 1960's bowhunting has been banned, not sure about bowfishing though.
I blame Errol Flynn for showing off his archery skills in Sherwood(AKA Busch gardens.

i read somewhere that as long as you not on a fixed man made point its legal ie not on a jetty or pontoon.
this was a few years ago and i cant remember the details

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fishing (angling) requires a rod and line in freshwater in the UK. There are a few limited exceptions with licenses (eel traps etc.).

In tidal / salt water areas, things are much more liberal - spear fishing is legal is salt water for example as are lobster pots, trawling, throw nets etc.

Red

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
the Bola always fascinated me , its really only useful on big game

so more than likely illegal but would be quite a humane kill as the prey is dispatched in a clean controlled way once it is down.
In theroy you're right
However, getting close enough to stab a large animal that is not only alive and awake but healthy and rather annoyed at being held captive might be difficult and dangerous.
Horns and hooves can slice to the bone without thinking.
It'd be much safer to use a spear rather than a knife to dispatch, but you would struggle to severe the spinal cord with it so targets would be limited perhaps

From an interest pov this is a good topic, any more methods?

Mark

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
It is strange that a bow would be band for hunting yet a sling shot would be alowed why would this be ?.

because its far easier to kill someone with a bow then with a slingshot.
also a bow is very visable and may upset people of a namby-pamby nature, where a slingshot is concealable and therefore if they don't know you have it they don't know your the type of criminal scum they're afraid of. (not you personally i mean in england in general, attitudes and such)
in a nutshell

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
also a bow is very visable and may upset people of a namby-pamby nature, where a slingshot is concealable and therefore if they don't know you have it they don't know your the type of criminal scum they're afraid of. (not you personally i mean in england in general, attitudes and such)
in a nutshell
i think its more this sort of thing that made bowhunting illegal, but then if it is illegal to hunt with a bow because its easier to kill with then why is there no license (i am in no way implying there should be one!!!:pokenest:)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Guys, in relation to bow hunting, it was legal right up to the Eighties, the wildlife and countryside act 1981 put a stop to hunting with bow and arrow.
During the 70's there was a lot of poaching with people using cross bows on deer, which is why the law was brought in.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Guys, in relation to bow hunting, it was legal right up to the Eighties, the wildlife and countryside act 1981 put a stop to hunting with bow and arrow.
During the 70's there was a lot of poaching with people using cross bows on deer, which is why the law was brought in.

But this is why it confuses me a slingshot can be conseald buy someone and do a lot of damage.
Also most people speculate that a bow in the rong hands can be a cruel way for an animal to die
but come on a slingshot could be just as bad .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE