Alternative moot! on Loch Nevis(PIC HEAVY)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i thought you might like a look at the wee trip me and Craigm9 had on the same weekend of the moot.
It was decided to go up and do Loch Nevis for a bit of R and R.

Well we set off on Sunday night from Mallaig,after hiking a few miles we stopped and used an old dis-used farm cottage for our first nights camp,which was only a tempory camp,as our main objective was further along the coast.
Next morning we set off early heading along the coast,i must stress at this point that there was no track to follow,which made for interesting walking to say the least.
With the Bracken over head height and pot holes under foot it was not for the faint hearted,at one point Craig went down and nearly broke his leg,thats how tough the going was.In fact it took us over 3 hours to travel about a mile.

Anyway we got to or intended camp in the end.
Looking back the way we had come.
100_0731640x480.jpg

The views we had around our camp were just breathtaking.
Looking over towards Knoydart.
nevis134640x480.jpg

Heres our camp in amongst the Birch trees.
nevis133640x480.jpg

Well we got set up for the next couples nights shrafting.
Craigs set up,note the rip in his trouser leg from when he took a header,could of been a nasty one!
100_0727640x480.jpg

My set up,i chose to make a browse bed and used a rock overhang to keep the wind off me.
nevis144640x480.jpg

After settling in and having a brew we broke out the fishing rods,we managed to catch a couple of fish,Craig caught a Macky and i hooked a couple of small Pollack.But as dusk started to set in,the fishing frenzy started. I hooked into the biggest Pollack i,ve ever had on,we were both using small spinning rods and 8 pound line,the fish i had on the end of my Minnow lure must have been a twenty pounder,i played it using the drag on my reel to good effect,so after numerous nerve wracking dives for the deep the fish finally lay on the surface exhausted.I shouted for Craig to give me a hand to land the monster,but just as Craig was getting a hand on the fish,it came off the hook,i stood there and watched my best ever shore caught fish glide back off into the depths .Craig was gutted as he thought he was to blame but it had nothing to do with him,as on closer inspection the fish had infact broken off one of the hooks on my treble.Oh well it wasn’t meant to be.Not being disheartened I re-rigged up and carried on.Well we didn’t have to wait long as on my first cast I was in again,and Craig caught his biggest fish ever that night,so well done mate.We must have landed at least ten fish each,so we only kept enough to feed ourselves and the rest went back to swim another day. Well it was now dark and starting to drizzle with rain,making the rocks very slippery under foot,so we decided that we wouldn’t push our luck.

Anyway the fish we kept were not the biggest ones,but they were big enough for our purposes.
nevis115640x480.jpg

After all that fishing we had worked up a thirst and an appetite,so out came the beer and onto skewers went the sausages.
100_0739640x480.jpg

Well after a few swallies it was time to hit the sack.
Next morning we got up and started breakfast, I made Bannock whilst Craig took care of the bacon,beans and a brew.
100_0747640x480.jpg

Bannock and Brews.
nevis125640x480.jpg

And Craig tucking in.
nevis127640x480.jpg

So after the breakfast dishes had been done and a few camp chores out of the way Craig said to me"what are we going to do with these".
100_0749640x480.jpg

Well after being strung up all night,i though we would get them washed up ready for prepping,for tonight’s meal,so off we trot and stick them in a rock pool for a bit of a dunk.While the fish were taking a bath,we thought another cuppa was in order,so whilst we were having our elevenses,unbeknowing to us,we were under seige.After the brew we headed back to the rock pool upon where we find that the mackerel had somehow managed to move its self,about 8 feet from the rock pool wedged in a crevice in the rocks,at first I thought a large wave had swept it up and left it where it was now resting,but the rocks were dry!,i also noticed that there were some scales on the dry rock heading off in the direction where the fish now lay,a little further on I saw wet feet print on the rock, I was about to say too Craig we'd had a visitor when he said look,and under another rock stood this little fellow.
nevis150640x480.jpg

nevis149640x480.jpg

Infact we were treated to the whole family coming and going through our camp.
nevis154640x480.jpg

So after rescuing our fish.
nevis119640x480.jpg

We gutted and filleted them.
nevis136640x480.jpg

100_0751640x480.jpg

We couldn’t let our new found friends not share our bounty,so we left the guts and bones for the Mink family to enjoy.
We also collected Limpets and Winkles to go along with the fish,back in camp I got on with sweating the veg for the fish stew while Craig cooked the Limpets.
100_0748640x480.jpg

Craig having a wee taster and a red wine aperitif.
nevis157640x480.jpg

The stew ready for scoffing.
nevis155640x480.jpg

After the meal was eaten and dishes washed,we settled in for a night by the fire,with a couple of beers and some red wine.
Craig said he had done a bit more foraging and found these tasty treats.
nevis159640x480.jpg

We turned in around midnight.
So when we woke on our last day we started to return the camp back the way we found it.Craig also opted to make a floatation aid from some jetsam that was lying around,and swim back to the first bay,me I walked the shoreline back to Mallaig,in hindsight I think he made the better decision.
Craig’s floatation aid in the making.
nevis160640x480.jpg

Him starting the swim back.
nevis162640x480.jpg

Half way there he got up on top of it,so you can see how stable it was.
nevis166640x480.jpg

And finally Craig reaching dry land.
nevis168640x480.jpg

After getting in we checked how dry his kit was,and after being in the sea for 3 hours it was surprising how little water made it into his kit.There were some damp patches here and there,but his sleeping bag was dry,so it was a success.
Anyway thanks for putting up with such a long post,we had a great time,and I hope you get a feel through the pics of a great break.
Cheers Stuart.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi lads, I should be in my bed but noticed your post and thought I'd have a wee look. Fool me!

I know the area well, having stravaiged it for years. Not the easiest of strolls. That doesnae stop me from seething with jealousy though!

I doubt if there's a corner of Britain without mink, the wee buggers. Ye cannie deny their tenacity though.

You're a better man than I am, Gungadin! You don't seem to have been too bothered by midges but I still prefer the safe haven of my wee tent.
Been there, done that and got the psychological scars to prove it.

Good on ye, thanks for the post and goodnight.

Bill.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like a great weekend lads, thanks for sharing.

Was the walk so bad that the cold sea was a better alternative for Craig ?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,cheers for the comments.

Looks like a great weekend lads, thanks for sharing.

Was the walk so bad that the cold sea was a better alternative for Craig ?

Hi Shewie,yeah the walk was really that bad,the whole area was full of hidden nooks and crannies,there were loads of natural rock caves that were just screaming out to be turned into shelters.When i get the chance to go back again,i will be certainly using them as shelters,so the tarps will be staying at home.

Heres a couple of videos Craig took,you get an idea of the terrain.(click on pics to see the video)

And a shot of just one of the many natural shelters.
nevis140640x480.jpg

Also a picture of bushcraft tv that i forgot to put in the original post
nevis113640x480.jpg

Looks like a cracking time out...thanks for sharing.

Why is it that the one that got away is always the biggest ever caught lol.

Simon

Aint that the truth.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Cracking pics guys.

Looks wonderful,think i'd rather walk a hunner' miles before even contemplating swimmin' in the sea.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful just :D

That sounds like a hell of a hike though :yikes: for all it was only a mile or so.
Coracle making next time maybe ?

Thanks for sharing :cool:

cheers,
M

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,thanks once again for the comments.

Cracking pics guys.

Looks wonderful,think i'd rather walk a hunner' miles before even contemplating swimmin' in the sea.

Hi Tam,the walk in must have been really bad as Craig has a fear of deep water,but he still opted for the swim out :lmao:

Beautiful just :D

That sounds like a hell of a hike though :yikes: for all it was only a mile or so.
Coracle making next time maybe ?

Thanks for sharing :cool:

cheers,
M

Hi Mary,i think next time we are thinking of getting a wee dinge with an outboard motor so we can explore further afield :eek:.

Brilliant pics stu , looks like u had a cracken time .. braw fish caught aswell ..
was the midges bad or ticks ...

Hi Gaz,the midges were no as bad as i thought they were going to be,i think the prevailing winds blow in west to east so that did keep them at bay.As for ticks i only caught one,it was on the back of my hand,it was executed without trial.I was supprised we did'nt get more as there was loads of deer sign around.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE