Alt-Berg Bootmakers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Hi All,

Just wanted to say how very, very impressed I was with the service I received at Alt-Berg in Richmond, N Yorks on Friday. They quickly diagnosed the problem I'd had with my previous boots, identified my peculiar Achilles problem and found me a wonderful pair of boots with supportive footbeds. There was no rush or hassle and I spent nearly an hour getting sorted out.

I ended up with a pair of their Norway boots - seems a little OTT for Salisbury plain but I'm an archeologists who spends a great deal of the winter standing around in muddy or ploughed fields (possibly the worst walking surface in my opinion) or on very, very steep slopes. The price which included footbed, Smartwool socks, a tin of dressing and spare laces was excellent.

I'm very glad I made the four hour trip up from Cirencester

:You_Rock_

Cheers
Gf

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
When ever I'm in Richmond - which is about every other year - I always stop in the Alt-Berg shop. Never had the need to buy any boots from them yet though...

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yes i too am a customer of Alt-berg.

I got some gamekeeper boots about 2 years ago (i like high leg boots, i always seem to find the puddles deeper than my boots :rolleyes: :D ) i had to wait 6 weeks for them to be made but like Glosfisher they spent over an hour with me tweaking the footbeds and the heels until the fit was perfect. Fortunately i am just an hour down the road in Harrogate so they can continue to service and repair my boots for years to come.

I can't recommend them enough, fantastic people, true craftsmen which is a rarity these days.

I think they only have the one shop Greg so eithers it's a long trip or their excellent mail order service.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I have had a pair of their Peacekeeper boots for a couple of years, wear them virtually every day and i can't fault them.

Incidentally, i bought mine from Penrith Survival, and he told me he was stopping stocking Altberg boots because they just couldn't supply them quickly enough. There were a lot of forces guys buying them from Penrith Survival at the time and he said he just couldn't get enough of them. He was buying Lowa boots from Germany, 50 pairs at a time and had no supply issues. Seems a shame really coz the Altbergs are a great boot.

I haven't been back to Penrith survival because of this decision. My loss probably :rolleyes:

Dave

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Ditto!! I live in mine and I have another pair for biking in that have been refurbed three or four times. The best boots money can buy - well that's my take!!

Stephen

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I too have a pair of Peacekeepers, got them in '96 and they are still going strong. Been re-soled twice (by Alt-berg) and they feel like a pair of slippers now but with no loss of support.

Cannot recommend them high enough!

Just to play devils advocate, i've also got Lowa Patrol boots, Danner Acadia's, Matterhorns and Pro-boot goretex's.

Lowa's are on a par with the Alt-bergs but are a little cumbersome at times (only 4 months old so still a little wearing in) The Danners are fantastic, the Matterhorns seem to make my toes ache (got them in '92) and the Pro-boots are OK but nowhere near as good as the previous few.

IMO i would go for the Alt-bergs because,

1) Made in Britain. We used to manufacture a lot of things in this country but now, in this disposable society we live in, things are made down to a cost rather than up to a standard so manufacturing is exported to the far east and eastern Europe. This is NOT the case with Alt-Berg. Up to a standard with a realistic price.

2) Talking of price, there seems to be a mark up on the Lowa's in this country and Danners are stupidly priced in this country compared with others.

3) Personal service and aftersales service. Second to non in my humble opinion. Kind, courteous and professional all the way with Alt-Berg.

4) As with the rest of the links contributors, they give you what you need, not what they need to sell. An admirable attitude in todays 'quick buck' society.

By the way, i am in no way linked to any company that i have mentioned here, i just think that, with a little time and experience, it is possible to get equipment (Boots etc) that you WANT to use rather than HAVE to use. :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
ArkAngel said:
I think they only have the one shop Greg so eithers it's a long trip or their excellent mail order service.

Your right they now only operate out of their Richmond shop ( Nice town - I was born there!!:) )
They did have an outlet in Brecon a few years ago because I had a pair of my patrol boots repaired there. I guess I'll have to go for the mail order system which isn't ideal because I would much prefer to try the boots on - on the other hand the wife keeps asking me to take her to the Dales!!:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE