alpkit sleeping bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Does anyone know what the situation is with alpkit and their sleeping bags, they appear to have stopped doing them.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Seem to remember reading on their website that they are trying to source an more ethical down supplier.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
This was posted on twitter earlier tonight:

"we've temporarily taken these ranges off site for developments. Should be more info in the coming months!"

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
That's what I thought, but I see a new range of down jackets, which got me thinking that they may have stopped.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had an alpkit sky-high 800 and found it to be very cold, even in mild uk winter temps. Also, the zip was very snaggy.

Shame because it packed down small and was a good price.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
That's a shame, I always thought that they were good bags and cheap I guess for the price they have to make compromises.

Hi guys, I thought I would just bring you up to speed on our sleeping bags as there are a couple of issues we are addressing at the moment.

First of all our biggest criticism from customers is that we are always out of stock so I am currently looking at new production methods and the longer term sustainable ways that we can remain in stock of all products at all times. Unfortunately this means going through some short term pain and disappointed to achieve this. Alpkit has been perhaps more successful than we first expected and we will continue to swing from feast to famine if we continue with the small to medium size deliveries. It would be really easy to stay in stock by just charging more for our products but we feel this strays away from our inherent values. We are striving to find a sustainable way we can continue to offer outstanding performance together with our direct pricing.

Secondly our original sleeping bag manufacturer whilst they delivered a good product it was never amazing and the future develop opportunities were limited. So since we decided to draw a line under our current supply chain we have been talking to new factories and suppliers. This process has also taken place with our Filo down jacket and whilst there was nothing inherently wrong with any jacket we have sold in the past, anyone who owns or has seen this seasons jacket will agree the general look, feel and quality is a cut above what we have done before.

I am sorry at this time I can't give you an accurate timescale of when we may have any new stock coming online. We are working on new models with new factories, testing them ourselves and with sponsored atheletes. As soon as everything clicks into place we will endeavour to get our sleeping bag programme back online. With the launch of our new webshop the sleeping bag pages been put on the back burner until we have some concrete news on them.

Squidders, I am not sure what the reasons why you find the SH800 a cold bag. It is competitively priced because we sold it to you directly, e.g. trade price from any other manufacturer not because we have scrimped on the quality of the materials used. Feel free to contact me or the guys in the webshop to see if there is a problem with it.

Cheers for now, Jim.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Secondly our original sleeping bag manufacturer whilst they delivered a good product it was never amazing

so what excactly was wrong with them then, i am sure owners of such bags would be interested to know why the one they bought is an inferior product.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi guys, I thought I would just bring you up to speed on our sleeping bags as there are a couple of issues we are addressing at the moment.

First of all our biggest criticism from customers is that we are always out of stock so I am currently looking at new production methods and the longer term sustainable ways that we can remain in stock of all products at all times. Unfortunately this means going through some short term pain and disappointed to achieve this. Alpkit has been perhaps more successful than we first expected and we will continue to swing from feast to famine if we continue with the small to medium size deliveries. It would be really easy to stay in stock by just charging more for our products but we feel this strays away from our inherent values. We are striving to find a sustainable way we can continue to offer outstanding performance together with our direct pricing.

Secondly our original sleeping bag manufacturer whilst they delivered a good product it was never amazing and the future develop opportunities were limited. So since we decided to draw a line under our current supply chain we have been talking to new factories and suppliers. This process has also taken place with our Filo down jacket and whilst there was nothing inherently wrong with any jacket we have sold in the past, anyone who owns or has seen this seasons jacket will agree the general look, feel and quality is a cut above what we have done before.

I am sorry at this time I can't give you an accurate timescale of when we may have any new stock coming online. We are working on new models with new factories, testing them ourselves and with sponsored atheletes. As soon as everything clicks into place we will endeavour to get our sleeping bag programme back online. With the launch of our new webshop the sleeping bag pages been put on the back burner until we have some concrete news on them.

Squidders, I am not sure what the reasons why you find the SH800 a cold bag. It is competitively priced because we sold it to you directly, e.g. trade price from any other manufacturer not because we have scrimped on the quality of the materials used. Feel free to contact me or the guys in the webshop to see if there is a problem with it.

Cheers for now, Jim.

Good to see a reply directly from Alpkit :)

Out of interest, with the new manufacturer are you likely to offer higher fp down in some of your bags or jackets?

simplefool

Jul 29, 2013
UK
so what excactly was wrong with them then, i am sure owners of such bags would be interested to know why the one they bought is an inferior product.

Bit harsh. I don't think he was inferring that there was anything wrong with the bags in their previous incarnation, just that they could be made better. I for one appreciate the honesty that they can improve upon what they've done before.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex

Nothing is perfect and a business that does not try to improve or move ahead will fail. There doesn't have to be anything wrong with a product for something to be changed or improved upon.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Did you read the same reply that I did? Nothing was wrong, only they think they can do better. According to 100s of reviews over 'net everyone was very happy with the previous bags. It's called product development and it needs to be done to move a company and therefore the products forward.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex

I slept in it a few times and was always cold but have no idea why, the same eating and sleeping arrangements in another bag and I was warm. I sold it on in the end and the new owner sleeps soundly in it so that doesn't help.

I mentioned the good price as a positive, I was not implying you offered a lesser quality product and am unsure why it needed saying.

Thanks for the offer of getting in touch, I have enjoyed good service from Alpkit previously.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I've had two Alpkit bags- Alpine Dream 700 which I still have and love, and the Skye High 600 which was a fantastic bag- the reason for selling was my wife treated me to a custom PHD bag for my 40th and to take on the TGO Challenge. For what it's worth, the zip on the pHD bag is far more "catchy" and while they happily sorted out issues, I had to return the PHD bag twice to rectify issues- mainly they had ignored my specifications and built an almost totally different bag!

My next bag will be an alpkit!

PS: Any chance Alpkit will do quilts for camping?? Happy to product test for you ;)

KP

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
thanks for the update jim for me i need a bag for now unless i can beg steel or borrow a down bag I'm going to have to give up on the alpkit 800 bag which would have suited my needs regards dave

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Thanks for the reply mr Alpkit, I hope that something is going to be available later in the year, I have to upgrade my winter bag.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I don't know about others but none of the Alpkit product support vid's will work on their site? Going to a site to buy stuff and finding numerous 'sold out' notices is pretty poor. An explanation in the home page would go a long way to resolving any temporary issues. Also what is with the 'Archived' items sold in the past?

I have bought many items from Alpkit but their online shop is dire.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE