Allotments...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
As im not someone who has access to a back garden to light fires etc, I was wondering if getting an allotment from the local council would be a good idea.
Here I could light fires and cook food in different ways - in a pit with hot rocks etc. Grow wild plants to see what they look like at various times of the year, perhaps set up shelters ?

Im sure you can have a bonfire on your own `patch` so a little fire should be allowed aye?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it might be worth bearing in mind that allotments can be highly sought after, so if you're not keeping your patch looking like the comittee thinks it ought to look, you might find yourself being kicked off it!

the fire issue might be down to some local byelaws.

but it's certainly a good idea, my other half would love an allotment, we only have a tiny garden.

cheers, and.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I have an allotment - rent is £10 a year and basically you can do what you want there (within reason) you can even grow veggies!

I have my plot divided into thirds - one is a grow patch one is at fallow and the third is my play area. I light fires, carve, cook etc - I'm also lucky as our allotments are disected by a stream with a small wood (maninly willow and alder) so i can always get some fresh materials to work.

I do get odd looks from the other guys and girls down there as I also like to grow weeds - well dandelions, headge garlic, comfrey and burdock not to mention the bramble i'm growing along the perimeter of my plot.

If you dont have a garden, cant access woodland easily or arent a full time anything - then an allotment is pretty good fun.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Nice one Gary , exactly what I was thinking of doing. Sounds like you`ve got a ideal set up - prime bushcraft estate...

Will have to check out how the land lies (pun intended) on this one with my local council. It would seem to be the best way to light fires etc without having to trek miles to where it was legal.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I'm tyring to find out about allotments in my local area and having no luck at all. Is there perhaps another word that's used instead of allotment? I've tried searching on politically correct sounding phrases like "community garden plot" ... :roll: :oops: :p

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I had a look on the BBC page, since there seem to have been a few news stories about allotments recently. A search on there produced several links to relevant city councils, and following one or two of them it seems that this is the way to go. For instance, if you search for "allotment" on the Bristol city council site then you find this:

http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/Fuguri/frame.html?B+BLO00102+BG+F+CMM00102+DPE00104

If nothing appears on the web for your location then it looks as though you'll have to resort to 'phoning or writing.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Kath said:
I'm tyring to find out about allotments in my local area and having no luck at all. Is there perhaps another word that's used instead of allotment? I've tried searching on politically correct sounding phrases like "community garden plot" ... :roll: :oops: :p
Well round here the allotments are about as common as living dodos! so probably not another word for them!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Kath, the way I got mine was to ring the local council they put me through to parks and Leisure who had nothing but they in turn pointed me to my local allotment society.

Rang them - went to the plot - paid a £10 for my first year and that was that.

Well apart from braking my back having to clear a large patch of secondary jungle and then having to brake down the soil ready for sowing etc! What fun!

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Unfortunatly most of the allotments around me, are being sold for housing, a work collegue is taking over other peoples allotment, to make it seem as if they are in use. Tto try to save them, same as my grandad is :), so any off you with them hang onto them. they will be a rareity soon :sulk:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wheres your grandads allotment Joe?

Mine is Romford and the guy there is doing the same thing - my plot was in his name when I took it over.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Gary said:
Wheres your grandads allotment Joe?

Mine is Romford and the guy there is doing the same thing - my plot was in his name when I took it over.

his allotment is in the stick in north wales , right in the country side, last place you'd expect houses :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE