All round telescopic rod?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Hi,

I don't know alot about fishing, I used to do some when I was younger but to be honest it only every really involved catching a few minows. What I want is a telescopic rod which lets me do everything (I bet everybody says that) mainly this involves having ago in lakes from my canoe but I would also like to have a go at Makrel from the beack and piers. Does anybody have any rod and reel recommendations that might do the trick?

Many Thanks guys

Alex

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
I bought a tele rod many years ago for those same reasons, I also use it for river fishing for trout, worm and spinning. look for a rod about 8 foot in length. I'll have a look around and see whats about.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Oh its difficult this one
From a canoe of course you could do without a rod really
I had a telescopic Shakespeare and it was a great rod but more fragile than i would like; I now have a cheapy 8ft and use a decent reel Of course I notice the difference when casting but for bushcraft type fishing it does the trick
Sea fishing I have to say requires sea tackle so maybe look at two set ups
You may be able to use the same reel though if you buy well
I know its the wrong time of year but car boot sales do yield a wealth of fishing gear

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
These days a tele, even a good one is pointless given the amount of multi sectioned affordable travel rods out there.

I would not have a tele given and I would not use a lure rod over 8'6' and for an all rounder for what you describe then start looking for something 8ft max with a 30g casting maximum, go heavier if you have Pike primarily in mind and go shorter and lighter if they don't figure at all.
With modern reels with their flawless line lay and modern (braided) lines long rods too are pointless.
Check out the ugly sticks if you are on limited budget (bit of an acquired taste though!) and some of the cheaper Okuma reels give you a lot of quality for not a lot and the Shimano STC rods if you can push it a bit.

A great all rounder which is a grand Pike and Bass lure rod but a bit of a bruiser for all but the biggest Perch, trout and Mackerel is the Savagear Roadrunner

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Thanks for all the input guys, as with everything I suppose a lot is down to personal preference and I am asking a lot. My problem is that I don't really want to become a fisherman per se but I would like to spent a few hours alone in a wild place doing a bit of fishing where ever I may be. I don;t have much room for gear storage as I seem to have filled every nook and cranny with outdoor equipment already so I thogh a tele rod could be left with reel attacked and take up little space at home or in the pack.

Can anybody advise on what I should be looking for in a good reel to suit this if I was to get a cheaper tele rod?

Thanks

Alex

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
be carefull with telescopic's, a little too much force collapsing them, and the eyes just snap off. Happened a million times and im sure its gonna happen a million times more. Good luck with the fishing, get down to your local car boot. Old roads are just the same as brand new ones. Everyone wants new, but these days there is just no point. Theres never really a 'bad condition' fishing rod is there?? They are either snapped, or working. :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
be carefull with telescopic's, a little too much force collapsing them, and the eyes just snap off. Happened a million times and im sure its gonna happen a million times more. Good luck with the fishing, get down to your local car boot. Old roads are just the same as brand new ones. Everyone wants new, but these days there is just no point. Theres never really a 'bad condition' fishing rod is there?? They are either snapped, or working. :)

If buying a second hand rod check the linings on the rings for wear, they will abrade the line if in poor condition. Check the real seating for play and wobble (if possible use your reel to do this). Make sure the whipping and glue on the rings and the varnish on the rod isn't chipped. Check the end eye doesn't pull off. Check the spigots are clear and pull apart easily. Sight down the eyes to check for any odd curves or bends. Whip the rod over your head as if casting - a light rod should swoosh - listen out for rattles.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
My most used reel here and abroad is a Shimano Exage 1000, brilliant little reel, ideal for the traveller.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
My most used reel here and abroad is a Shimano Exage 1000, brilliant little reel, ideal for the traveller.

outstanding for the money!

1000 size is a bit on the small side, if its not regularly used or cheap line goes on it then the line ends up a little naughty due to the tighter coils off the spool. 2000 sizes upwards are better for a casual dabbler....... in my opinion.!

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
A bit late on this but I'd go for a 5 piece job rather than telescopic. I use a Youngs Travel Barbel rod 12' - excellent piece of kit & comes in a hard case. You can pick these up for £40 on the bay. The similar model by John Wilson looks the part too. Reel - Okuma Epix Pro.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE