Alexanders...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
The alexanders in the hedgerow down the road here have been out in flower for a while, and some of the flowers are going over now, despite the fact that they don't usually flower until april at the earliest. (mind you, I am in Cornwall now)..
Alexanders.jpg

As I have said before, I am going to do a lot more foraging for wild food this year and get more of a taste for the wild larder, so I am going to start off with the alexanders. I have found a few reciepes in my books and maybe a look online will give me some more, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any reciepes for it. Do you enjoy the taste of it etc...
I have not eaten it before and noticed in my books the leaves can be used in salads and the stems can be cooked like asparagus, and a sauce can be made from the leaves
If eating any wild food, make certain of your ID by cross referencing etc. Some plants are deadly as is some of the the same family as alexanders...

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
They've not flowered in my neck of the woods but they're well up.
I've cooked them ala asparagus and they're pretty good. I mostly bung it in stews, chop the stalk and use it like celery. I find the leaves a little too bitter for my taste.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers for that Snufkin...
Went out and collected some alexanders stems today. I used the lower stems but they were still a bit green, (blanched whiter stems are meant to be best)... I tried some raw...Very overpowering strong taste that stays with you. I couldn't eat it like that so I boiled some in salted water...That still tasted strong and was not eaten. I also roasted some in the oven, this turned out much better. The outer had to be peeled off but the inner was well tasty and not pungent at all.
The underlying taste of the plant is not bad and I think that in a stew, like you say, a few bits chopped like celery would add to the stew well. Will try that another day...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to admit to not being fond of them, the smell seems to cling.
Baked in the ashes and peeled like thistles is much the best I've found when out. There have to be other ways though; I like cooked celery and always thought Alexanders ought to be similar, but no. Might try them again as a cream of soup and see. Not showing much here yet.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE