Aldi-Chainsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh, the Oregon bar and chain should be good as Oregon is a very good make, I don't see why for a home user or a light commercial operator this wouldn't be a good enough saw for logging up and the odd small felling job.....certainly at that price it's worth a punt if you don't fancy shelling out for a stihl or a husky :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh, the Oregon bar and chain should be good as Oregon is a very good make, I don't see why for a home user or a light commercial operator this wouldn't be a good enough saw for logging up and the odd small felling job.....certainly at that price it's worth a punt if you don't fancy shelling out for a stihl or a husky :)

Well, thats it exactly. Couldnt justify a husky. I've got an electric one. Do I need a petrol one?.....Mmmmm probably not, but thats never stopped me before!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got to admit, I cant seem to stop buying aldi power tools. Got a work zone, drill, jigsaw, belt sander/grinder, and just got the router, with all the bits.

They do seem to work ok, so far.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Got one last year, they get hot quick but are great value for the money. Plus the the year guarantee if something goes wrong, can't fault mine for the odd jobs it gets used on.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Dave; it looks ok for occasional domestic use but Id not want to waste my money personally - jump over the £100 mark and you could get a bit better from B & Q!! I'd be concerned with getting spares for it

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have two Aldi chainsaws, one two-stroke petrol and one electric. I've had them several years, I don't remember exactly how long.
I don't use a chain saw a great deal, but I've probably cut up around twenty tonnes of wood with them, typically twelve to fifteen inch rounds, and they've been absolutely fine.

I particularly like the electric one. I only bought it to see if it was any good because it was so cheap and I ended up using it more than the petrol one -- even when I've had to use two 50-metre extensions to get to the tree.

Oh - someone mentioned spares. I think the chains are bog-standard and easy to get, I think the carb on the petrol one is one of the Zuma or similar. I've never had to buy any spares.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Depends how much cutting you intend to do, Oregon chain & bar is probably worth £30-£40 alone . So for the price it is definitely worth a punt. 3 year warranty as well, but I don't know how that would work with Aldi ?
I have 2 saws a Husky and a Stihl which have been very reliable for the last 10 years and have been able to maintain myself, but a friend of mine recently took hid Stihl to a local authorised dealer as it was playing up, and it cost him £55 for a service. So comparing the price of the service / new Aldi saw then if it lasts you 3 years then I would say money well spent.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Depends how much cutting you intend to do, Oregon chain & bar is probably worth £30-£40 alone . So for the price it is definitely worth a punt. 3 year warranty as well, but I don't know how that would work with Aldi ? ...

You would probably have to send it back to the manufacturer, I think Aldi won't want to be involved after 30 days unless (a) you're sure of your ground and (b) you get all legalistic with them. I only had to do that once, with a set of Christmas lights, but when they saw that I wasn't going to swallow their bull about their 'policy' and pointed out that the law in the UK didn't permit their 'policy' to affect my 'statutory rights' they backed down quick enough.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
A service for a saw is around £40-£50 if you pay someone to do it. All chainsaws sold in the UK now have to pass certain safety standards now so it should be of a decent enough build quality. For £70 I'd definitely get one if I didn't already have one. Sure if it's your job then Husqvarna or Stihl are the way to go, but for occasional use it'll be fine. Make sure you buy a maintenance/sharpening kit for it if it doesn't come with one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE