Airguns (Hope it's not taboo)??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I've collected airguns for quite a few years now although i've not shot any in ages apart from the odd pellet down the back garden when I acquire a new one to ensure it works correctly! (I only shoot card targets too!).

Anyhow, This VMach HW97 was my latest long addition, It came in a blackline tactical stock but I had the blue laminate stock spare along with some brass furnitura so I added those too!, It's one of the smoothest cockin/shooting rifles I own and is more accurate than me!!

6T9nt1s.jpg

Mk1 HW80 in a Venom Vantage stock, It's .177" cal and is a lefty stock but is comy R/H too
6IfUkwg.jpg

I had at one point 165 mixed rifles and pistols so I started getting rid of the cheaper lower quality Chinese stuff, I was down to around 150 and thought I was doing well but then bought six more (mostly German) rifles, i then stopped buying rifles and started buying the little ones!!, I got all these off one lad, There's only three more to get from him then i've had the lot!!
wgCpX6m.jpg

an early (1983) HW77 full length rifle in .22" cal..
GICLn8L.jpg

Another mk1 HW80
I3CYlYh.jpg

Webleys, Mk1, Mk2 Service and mk3 underlever in .177" cal
FZCRzbi.jpg

Air Arms SE90 sidelever .22" cal
C7uHiBg.jpg

BSA Lightning in .22" cal, These aren't really liked much in the shooting community but this one is ok!
JR1djvn.jpg

Pre war 'Long Toms'
lY3U6yD.jpg

HW97 in .177" cal
e5wqUKl.jpg

Venom tuned and blued 1970 HW35 in a Luxus stock, Another real smoothie!!
5LBTLIg.jpg

American multipumpers , .20" Sheridan, .22" Benjamin and .177" mod 147 Crosman (Crosman own the other two companies now!)

DzD4fET.jpg

German Original mod 50 t01 in .22"
6rDSFTt.jpg

Anyone else in to airguns? (Or even real guns!!)

Cheers, john :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We are a family of shooters.
‘Real’ and air, but mostly ‘real’.

Wife is better than I am, in most disciplines.
I should not have introduced shooting to her when we met all those years ago!

I have three revolvers, two semi auto pistols, one shotgun, one air rifle, one air pistol, comp grade.
One more revolver incoming, thinking of another semi auto pistol

Wife a similar number. But no air rifle.

Good hobby. Relaxing, with zen like concentration.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnbaz

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Currently I have:
-5 shotguns (3 of them are family heirlooms)
-1 rimfire rifle (my first gun: Daddy bought it for me when I was 8 years old)
-2 centerfire rifles
-3 centerfire revolvers
-2 semiauto handguns
-1 black powder muzzle loading rifle
-1 black powder cap & ball revolver

No airguns ———- YET! but I’m working on it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No issues over guns and their images on the forum, just that we ask that they're put in Fair Game (I've moved this thread).

The reason is simple, it gives folks a head up that if they open Fair Game that it's on them to be aware of where they are and who is around them.
Otherwise the forum is, 'family, school, uni, etc., friendly", and there's no hassle for anyone.

cheers,
Toddy

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
No issues over guns and their images on the forum, just that we ask that they're put in Fair Game (I've moved this thread).

The reason is simple, it gives folks a head up that if they open Fair Game that it's on them to be aware of where they are and who is around them.
Otherwise the forum is, 'family, school, uni, etc., friendly", and there's no hassle for anyone.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy, I wasn't sure if I should have put it in the Brights, Gizmo's and Toys forum!!

Cheers, john :)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hell of a collection that. Where do you find the space to store them all!

Ho dwardo

I have a gunroom (Two spare rooms since our lads moved out some years ago!!), I have the smallest one as my gunroom although old Stereos, Guitars and all manner of other stuff has been put in there temporarily forever so it takes hours now to get them all out!! :mad::aarghh:
kXDMdXA.jpg

All the space above is filled now with guitars in cases!

John :banghead:

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
All "real" guns.

Several shotguns in 410 & 12b
A number of Centre fire fires
A couple of .22rf.

Much of the collection is Military Lee Enfield's from WW1 up to the 1970's (.303" and & 7.62mm)

Possibly the least common is the L42A1 Sniper rifle used in the Falklands 'disagreement'. Only 1000 manufactured.

The Enfield 'Family' and the L42 with CES (Complete equipment Schedule)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
All "real" guns.

Several shotguns in 410 & 12b
A number of Centre fire fires
A couple of .22rf.

Much of the collection is Military Lee Enfield's from WW1 up to the 1970's (.303" and & 7.62mm)

Possibly the least common is the L42A1 Sniper rifle used in the Falklands 'disagreement'. Only 1000 manufactured.

The Enfield 'Family' and the L42 with CES (Complete equipment Schedule)

I have a friend in West Yorkshire that has enough airguns that it would take him over two years to shoot a different one each day, He was a sniper in 1960's, This was the pic of his kit that he sent me! (He's a farmer now and in his 80's!!
arL3nid.jpg

A few more of my er, Less powerful guns!!

Airsporter Stutzen
FPvKyce.jpg

BSA Superstar.
JWbA0Z3.jpg

Gamo Stutzen, Much lower quality than the old Beesa product that it tries to copy! :(
dwRWTxz.jpg

old (1980's) Daystate Huntsman mk1 (.177" cal)
tzV59wm.jpg

Anschutz mod275 4.4mm lead BB rifle (It is rifled too!)
L08zyx0.jpg

BSA Buccaneer and Ultra Multi MMC.
SFhq9CG.jpg

British HiScore mk2 Sporter with both barrels and removal tool..
kfbV1fJ.jpg

Webley pistols..
01okTmr.jpg

Crosman mod 88 'Skanaker' match pistol but with hpome made grip as it came left handed, My mate made the grip!!
RljHD9F.jpg

Gunpower Stealths..
eCBP8er.jpg

Baikal Drozd, .177" Co2 pistol with electronic trigger, In the U.S. these are used to their full potential, Full auto, We're not allowed full auto so the switches are missing (Auto/Semi and burst rate) and the holes have blanking plates fitted, Good fun though as they rattle the BB's at 500fps!!
D6aTa2S.jpg

Sharp Ace .177" (Left) and Sharp Innova .22" (Right)
3VTFI92.jpg

BSA Mercury .22"
u1dehqP.jpg

BSA Superten..
bhvudEB.jpg

Old acvoke concentric pistol by Accles & Shelvoke in .177" cal (In cocked position)
GYzRYvK.jpg

A couple of ShinSung Careers, Great fun when they're working correctly, These aren't. Both need sealing again!
mP5OvBr.jpg

John :)

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have a friend in West Yorkshire that has enough airguns that it would take him over two years to shoot a different one each day, He was a sniper in 1960's, This was the pic of his kit that he sent me! (He's a farmer now and in his 80's!!
arL3nid.jpg

I think that that may be a couple of years 'out'

Your Sniper friend's rifle is an L42A1 which was introduced in 1970 with 1100 built to replace the previous WW2 - 1970 Sniper rifle (No4T)

You can see on my photos that the wood on the No4T (WW2 to 1970 Sniper Rifle) goes all the way to the muzzle, whilst the L42 (1970 onwards) is 'cut-short' as per your friend's rifle.

The No4T is an RAF issue (in the 'blue' transit case) and the L42A1 was one that went to the Falklands

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com

Your Sniper friend's rifle is an L42A1 which was introduced in 1970 with 1100 built to replace the previous WW2 - 1970 Sniper rifle (No4T)

You can see on my photos that the wood on the No4T (WW2 to 1970 Sniper Rifle) goes all the way to the muzzle, whilst the L42 (1970 onwards) is 'cut-short' as per your friend's rifle.

The No4T is an RAF issue (in the 'blue' transit case) and the L42A1 was one that went to the Falklands

It was a few years since he told me and sent that pic, I reckon you know what you're talking about with these things (I'm clueless with real guns!), the 60's does sound too long ago, I'll have gotten it wrong for sure!!

I got the impression that he never actually took a life whilst he was doing the sniper job!!

By the way, I'm just watching 'The Shooter' on telly!! Good timing eh??!! ;)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Does it realy matter?

either way it was a cool set up

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I guess it depends on your feelings about accuracy.

No one will die because the date was 5 or 10 years out, but I find it is better to try to give correct information, particularly on forums where once something is repeated a few times it becomes fact.

I think you might be in the wrong forum...

johnbaz threw up an unsolicited picture a mate gave him

it realy didn't need further comment

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Very cool

I'd love to know more about the Long Toms and Webleys

Hi Corso, This one is a 'BSA Air Rifle', The serial number says it was made in 1906, A lincoln Jeffries Design, I was given the rifle by a member on TZUK, The piston rod broke sometime back in the 1970's, His engineer friend made a new one of carbon steel but it wouldn't latch on to the sear so it was put in the wardrobe ever since!!, The chap was in Wales but was travelling to see a friend and was passing Sheffield so he dropped it at my house!! :cool2: He was learning to repair watches so I found him a handfiul of broken ones to practice on!!

I realised when the trigger was being pushed back slightly upon cocking that the stroke wasn't long enough, The engineer had made the rod a few thou too short, I used a diamong needle file to remove a bit from the hook and it worked!!, I also had to get a leather cup seal for the piston, It shoots really well now but I can't hit anything as there were no sights on the gun!! :mad:
sYDTjVo.jpg

The top one is a later BSA Standard, From memory I think it dates to 1929, As can be seen, The Standard is larger on the cylinder and more powerful, Also it's .22" cal, The '06 rifle is .177" cal..
d1Klr9h.jpg

The model D has a straight hand shottie typy of stock, This had to be ordered specially as they came with the pistol grip type as standard, Hence there are way more pistol grip stocks about than the straight hand types, They didn't want to pay more for what they saw as a lesser type of stock!!
Frb01In.jpg

I can't seem to find a pic of the newest Standard, it's fourth from the right in this pic, The Standards had etching to say what they were much like the Webley mk1 rifle, It wore away quite quickly but on this 1936 model, It can just be seen in good light, It's a number 2 bore..
6SX0h7h.jpg

Of the 1,500 Webley mk1 rifles produced, Around the first 500 were made with acid etching, Webley must have realised it wasn't a durable way of putting their info on so they started impressing it in the steel with hardened rollers, Only around four are known to exist with legible etching, I was lucky enough to get the chance to buy one!!

MTIAB9a.jpg

rPOQ0Cv.jpg

EUjVXJT.jpg

FqLXZgM.jpg

I've actually stopped cleaning it as it's faded somewhat since I bought it!! :aarghh:

The mk2 Service rifle was as far as I know designed as a military trainer, I don't think they were actually used as such though!, Mine has just the .22" barrel, They originally came in two clibres (.177" and .22") and were lateravailable with a .25" (number three bore) barrel as an optional extra..
Mine came with the ball of the bolt missing, I won one on fleabay, I'll have to take a pic as I fitted to the gun!!
lOqBAGP.jpg

Yf1DVpl.jpg

This one is a pre WW2 BSA break barrel in .177" cal that I bought this year from the Melbourne Vintage airgun fayre ;)
VMI9H9r.jpg

I love these old guns!!

Reactions: Corso

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’ve only a small air rifle collection now, had 12 different models at one point but now down to 3. A HW97K custom, a Webley FX2000 Carbine and a HW77 custom awaiting rebuilding.
You have a very impressive collection there including several models I’ve always fancied myself. Very nice indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE