air rifles hunting in the uk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
hi
i use to live in the country but have been back in town now for several years.
i use to use my air rifle for rabbits but when i moved to the town i gave the rifle away.

however i do miss it and am thinking of buying a new hunting rifle however i dont want to buy something that i am scared to take out of the house

i was wondering if anyone had any advice for approaching land owners or farmers for obtaining permission to hunt on there land ?

many thanks

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Will

Lots of people have asked the same question over the last year or two. A search of old posts would give you all the answers, but in a nutshell I would say:
  • Get insured by joining BASC or similar (or a HFT club)
  • Join an HFT club and meet other local shooters who may invite you along on a shoot
  • Politely ask local landowners if they undertake any pest control.
  • Dress like a gent when you go to ask
  • Don't get disheartened if/when you get turned down.
  • Leave your details on a card in case they change their minds at a later date

I'll take it as read that you know how to shoot and you'll get plenty of practice with your new toy before you go out in the field :D.

And most importantly please remember that, to the public and the policymakers, as a shooter you represent all shooters (including me). Good luck.

Rat

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
ty for that
yeh was in the forces when i was a lad and have used air riffles since i was a child i never take a shot unless i know i can make it
so yes i think i know my way round rifles.

whats new to me is seeking permission

i imagine though many land owners would welcome people to come help with pest control the reality is that they would fear getting in trouble if anything went wrong.

i will make enquires

again many thanks

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
on

i imagine though many land owners would welcome people to come help with pest control the reality is that they would fear getting in trouble if anything went wrong.

Dont be too sure mate. I tried for a long time with insurance etc. Most people just dont want folks they dont know wandering around their land with a rifle. I had to do 6 months work on very little money, on a shooting estate just to be in a position where the landowner was willing to let me shoot his land. But then only a bit of it and at certain times of day and year.

Its not always hard though. You just have to make the right impression to the right person. Remember most landowners are busy people. It may help to make contact via letter/email ( as i did) first and ask if they could kindly spare 10 minutes of their time to have a chat with you. Cause them minimum disruption and you will be seen in a better light. Also be prepared to offer free help around their land if needed. You scratch my back and i'll scratch yours n all that

May 4, 2007
Newquay
I have a local farm that let me hunt and also camp there. Alot of farmers will be glad of the help but they need to know your not going to mess around on their land. All you can do is ask nicely. At the end of the day rabbits and squirrels are pests and they want them gone so they would be silly to say no. BUT always ask first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE