air rifle shooting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I have a Theoben evolution carbine converted to a springer .22, an HW something .22 underleaver and a couple webleys. I dont get to use them as much as I would like however I have a shoot planned over xmas.

Ben

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Is does you right, I got the gun on a deal and it was down on power so took it into a gun shop not knowing anything about the gas rams as I've always has springers and the chap said to convert it. BIG mistake £60 later the gun came back up to the limit but with one hell of a twank. I wont be using him again. I will be investing in a new gas ram at some point!

Ben

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Yeah live and learn I suppose, I was trying to support a local chap who had just started up and also trying to save a bit of cash. Is it common that the rams lose their power over time?

Regards

Ben

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
my slr has been back to them twice in 9 years glad i purchased the extra warranty but my older scirroco(sp) is going still on the original wish i still had her

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
the hassle always put me off a bit.

i was always a bit unsure about the accuracy too - although i am starting to think that is unfounded.

what kind of groups can you get at 100yrds with the average .22 bolty?

andy

Depends on the gun, the ammo and the shooter

A good rule of thumb on most decent rifles is 1MOA (minute of Angle). Think 1" at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards etc.

That very good shooting with an out of the box gun - it can certainly be bettered with a good gun and the right ammo.

Our .22s will certainly put 10 shots in a group that can be covered by a 5p piece at 50 yards if we do our part

Red

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Yeah live and learn I suppose, I was trying to support a local chap who had just started up and also trying to save a bit of cash. Is it common that the rams lose their power over time?

Regards

Ben

i briefly owned an hw90 which is fitted with a gas ram - thought it was a good idea at the time but i had a duff one - the damn thing was so variable that it didnt hold a zero - checked everything i could and even changed the scope twice.

it went back to the shop and i bought the x2.

you might just have had a duff one mate - they are supposed to be able to be left cocked for weeks with no power reduction.

British Red - thats the kind of accuracy i would be after - (5p groups that is) - i dont like hunting with something that cant put a round through bunnys brain every time. - i dont like the idea of relying on added clout to do the job and just going for chest shots.

even then - that would only add 10-15yrds onto my hunting range - i dont think i could justify the hassle of it all.

just my 2p on the subject.

andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Andy,

An airgun is fine for close range. The difference with the .22 of course is that it still groups sub the inch at 100 yards (or 10p piece). We've taken ours out to 200 yards - but I wouldn't against live quarry - they don't buck the wind well enough for that range. If you want to pop them off at 200+ yards then a .22 centre fire and a damn good backstop is the order of the day.

That said these days I would be very tempted by a .17HMR - only drops about 2" in 100 yards - amazingly flat trajectory and more than enough round for up to hare sized. Doesn't work subsonic though and the ammo is pricey.

With bunnies, an airgun is just fine if you have the time for fieldcraft and want to eat them. If its just vermin control then a 12 bore and no. 6 shot is a lot simpler in my book :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Andy,

An airgun is fine for close range. The difference with the .22 of course is that it still groups sub the inch at 100 yards (or 10p piece). We've taken ours out to 200 yards - but I wouldn't against live quarry - they don't buck the wind well enough for that range. If you want to pop them off at 200+ yards then a .22 centre fire and a damn good backstop is the order of the day.

That said these days I would be very tempted by a .17HMR - only drops about 2" in 100 yards - amazingly flat trajectory and more than enough round for up to hare sized. Doesn't work subsonic though and the ammo is pricey.

With bunnies, an airgun is just fine if you have the time for fieldcraft and want to eat them. If its just vermin control then a 12 bore and no. 6 shot is a lot simpler in my book :)

must agree with you there.

the .17 hmr looks like a nice little round. - i remember there was a lot of fuss made about it when it came out.

andy

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I agree the 4.5mm is good but I still prefer 5.5mm It feels better for me to fire one, that said though Ive used 5.5 for years. Each to their own :)

Still doesnt compare to a 7.62 though :D

Jan 29, 2008
Kent
Having just moved house and seen the huge number of rabbits that sit at the end of my garden my interest in getting out with my rifle has sparked up again.
But I need to invest in a scope, any suggestions?

Its a webley xocet .22 carbine if thats any help

Thanks
Alex

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
With optics you generally get what you pay for, but only up to a point. The extra performance versus increased cost starts to diminish once you get into the 100s of pounds.

Some people say you should spend the same on a telescopic sight as you did on your gun. That said, for the casual shooter there are lots of cheaper options. The more expensive optics are able to distinguish colour shades better - means your target doesn't blend so much with its surrounding colours. This allows you to take more shots confidently (humanely) in different light conditions. They generally capture more light than cheaper optics, very useful for hunting something that comes out at dawn or dusk.

Starting with cheaper scopes, the Hawke range seem to get reasonable reviews, although apparently they're not quite as refined as the more expensive scopes, e.g. focus adjustment can be a bit stiff, etc.

A little bit more expensive, I use one of these, and it is superb (the word superb doesn't do it justice!):

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...+Scopes_BUSHNELL_Bushnell+Legend/pagestart/0/

I did much research before I bought it, and the general consensus was that it performed twice as good as a 50£ scope, and 99% as good as a scope costing 400£. To me at least it sounded like some sensible middle ground.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Although too cheap and you risk buying something that loses its zero after a couple of shots, and then you wound a rabbit rather than killing it. Mate of mine bought a cheap backyard plinking telescopic sight for 15€, and the zero would shift all over the place. OK for plinking, not suitable for live game.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
zazer - as has been said - you generally get what you pay for.

i think the scope on my x2 was £55 or there abouts.

some would look down on it simply because it is sat on a gun worth ten times that.

but it does the job and the pigeon i just shot is proof enough of that! lol.

i would reccomend haveing a look in your local gunshop if you have one. if not check out
http://images.jsramsbottom.com/pdf/jsrad.pdf
- it appears their website is under maintanence.

i would recommend anything by AGS or Nikko Sterling. Hawke do good scopes too.

i would also suggest you get a one piece mount for a springer - these lock in place a little better than two piece mounts.

i am sure you are aware you need well made diablo pellets. if you don't already know of/use a good brand then - air arms, wasp and rws make good ones.
it is best to shop around with pellets - you used to be able to get a pack which contained ten pellets of a variety of brands so you could see which grouped the best for your particular gun.

best of luck - any questions don't hesitate to ask.

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE