air rifle shooting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hunter mark

Jul 26, 2009
South Bedfordshire
hello all

Theres a 'wanted' thread running in the classifieds at present re Air Arms rifles - I have shot Air Arms (amongst others) for years and hunt rabbits, rats, squizzers & corvids on several large pieces of farmland I have consent to shoot over.

I love being out in the field pitting my skills against quarry thats much more crafty than I am, as well as helping the farmers/landowners keep the pests in check.

Question is ...how many other members on here shoot/hunt with air?

I have dispatched just under 1k rabbits so far this year - all with air or a 17 HMR CZ 452 - mostly with the s400 though.

So - hunters - show yourselves!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I still dabble from time to time with my BSA Goldstar, not as much as I used to but I still keep my eye in.

Recently found my John Darling hunting book at my folks house which has renewed my interest again.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I'm a recent return to the hunting fraternity, have permission to shoot on a wee bit o land and currently looking to expand said land.

Mainly taken rabbit and pigeon, at the landowners request.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I shoot air quite a bit, both field and target. S400 is a great favourite, as is the TX200. I'm lucky enough to still have my FWB Sport, about 30 years old now but still going well thanks to maccari parts from the US.

Dave

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a HW100K in .22 and a TX200 .177. Dont have any land to shoot on though as the farmer done want me around when the phesants are out.

Roll on the end of the shooting season

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I sold my tx 200 this year to part fund a new daystate air ranger and what a gun it is,the best ive ever shot.
Soloman.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
i've hunted with a daystate x2 in .177 for a good 3 or 4 years now. the gun has never let me down once!
nowt like a good rabbit stew.

andy

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I like to hunt, formerly with a MFR [sorely missed!] but now with an awesome HW100!

Its good to put meat on your table and see it from the field in all the stages!

Drew

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Yep, do my fair share of bunny bashing, also squirells and pigeons, with the odd rat that drops in to meet the reaper.

I use both the S400 and 410, both as effective. Just in the process of updating my lamping gear from an old Clulite. Still good but heavy at the end of the night with 10+ rabbits to carry back!

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
i use a falcon lightweight hunter .22 its very nice to use and in the name is "lightweight" and powerfull. perfect to stop my little 4 legged freinds

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've not been out for litterally 15 years! my aim this christmas or new year is to pick up a decent .22 webs/bsa/WH and get out and start bagging some of this free food thats running around all over!
my son has been watching huge furry whittlingtool with me and wants to skin and cook his first wabbit, not bad for a 7 year old.

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Must admit, been a similar sort of time period since I've handled a rifle. Must get back into it, anyone got any suggestions for an economical piece of kit?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have an Airsporter S which I have owned for 25 years. I have to admit it hasn't been out the cabinet for a few years because I find my .22 rimfire a lot better - more accurate, quieter, ok up to 80 yards or so when there is little wind, and cheap enough to run.

I'm sure the air rifle is a better tool for honing your fieldcraft though.

I think a lot of people are put off .22 rimfire because of the hassle, but as you can buy a perfectly good used one for £100 or so, you can still buy the cabinet, 3rd party insurance, FAC application fees, a few thousand rounds of ammunition, and still be spending less than a modern pcp air rifle.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have an Airsporter S which I have owned for 25 years. I have to admit it hasn't been out the cabinet for a few years because I find my .22 rimfire a lot better - more accurate, quieter, ok up to 80 yards or so when there is little wind, and cheap enough to run.

I'm sure the air rifle is a better tool for honing your fieldcraft though.

I think a lot of people are put off .22 rimfire because of the hassle, but as you can buy a perfectly good used one for £100 or so, you can still buy the cabinet, 3rd party insurance, FAC application fees, a few thousand rounds of ammunition, and still be spending less than a modern pcp air rifle.

the hassle always put me off a bit.

i was always a bit unsure about the accuracy too - although i am starting to think that is unfounded.

what kind of groups can you get at 100yrds with the average .22 bolty?

andy

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
what kind of groups can you get at 100yrds with the average .22 bolty?

better than with an air gun! ;) Erm a reasonable shot with a reasonable setup will get 2inch 5 shot groups. But tbh it doesnt matter at that range, stalk close and smack them at 50. I was always brought up that an air gun was a kids gun (sorry chaps) and i still think that though they have there uses your much better off with a nice BA .22lr, cheaper, more KO value, and a beter noise! In answer to your question, it must be a year since i picked up a musket to go after rabbits, just not really had chance.

Sam

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
still play with my slr 98 and old air arms tx100 just sold an hw 80 for a friend whole kit for less than i would pay for the scope now

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I used to do allot of shooting when i was younger but my friend lost the ground we used to shoot on so we dedicated the last decade to pike fishing. I was out clay shooting the other month and really enjoyed it. So i decided to get back into it, cabinet is fitted SGC recieved so Im keeping an eye open for a gun!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE