air rifle question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i payed about the same as that for my first ever air rifle (anHW35E) about 15years ago, so i'd say that's a pretty good price.
damn fine rifle too, not the most powerfull, mine chrono'd just shy of 11ftlb, but very acurate which is the most important bit.

cheers

stuart

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i payed about the same as that for my first ever air rifle (anHW35E) about 15years ago, so i'd say that's a pretty good price.
damn fine rifle too, not the most powerfull, mine chrono'd just shy of 11ftlb, but very acurate which is the most important bit.

cheers

stuart

thanks, do you use it to hunt??

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
yes mate, i did hunt with it, mainly rabbit and pidgeon, the odd tree rat too. it taught me a lot did that rifle, i'm sitting here feeling pretty angry with the 19 year old me that sold it for a pittance after ruining the thing whilst tryign to replace the piston seal.

we live and learn

stuart

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Pity that it's sold, they're fantastic guns for the money - well worth a hundred quid provided it's in working nick and not been messed around with. Sadly, there are a few amateur tuners who believe a double length, square section spring and a 5mm drill bit through the transfer port will 'improve' anything so be sure it's not been played with before buying. Even the best tuners rarely got as high as 15lbft with the 35, the HW80 was always the big hitter. The best thing to do with a 35 is use it and keep it nicely oiled, just enjoy it for what it is.

I've got two, one early and one late, they're still being sold new too which is pretty good for a design which must be close to 60 years old by now.

Cheers,

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....a double length, square section spring and a 5mm drill bit through the transfer port....

those were the days, i vividly remember the 8 foot flame that shot out of the barrel of my airsporter after a similar "tuning" job, i was lamping at the time, it lit up the night sky like flare going off, there were sirens and flashing lights and all sorts, i enjoyed my mis-spent youth!

stuart

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Hehe - you and me both! As I recall a mix of a little 3 in one and some WD40 was a good diesel recipe, I once blew the head off a Milbro Caledonian and left the skirt in the barrel of an old beezer using that trick... that took some getting out of an underlever. I've never been sure whether it was massive increase in power or just crapness of pellet which caused it, suffice to say airgun + combustibles + low quality pellet and it grouped like a .410 at 25 yards!

I had some old break barrel 'fairground guns', of indeterminate origin, gifted to me once, they didn't last long in my quest for raw power as my sister shot me in the arm with one of them at point blank range after loading it while standing behind me (against strict instructions I hasten to add) and they were confiscated by the aged progenitor. It seemed packing the, already over-compressed, mainspring with washers was more than the trigger sear was wont to bear - fun - or so I thought right up until it bit me in the arm!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
All the above stories are historical and/or anecdotal of course...

well said matt, anecdotal, yes indeedy. in fact i've just realised that i said "my airsporter" when of course i should've said "my mates airsporter" schoolboy error

stuart

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
well said matt, anecdotal, yes indeedy. in fact i've just realised that i said "my airsporter" when of course i should've said "my mates airsporter" schoolboy error

stuart

Is this your mate who had a tragic boating accident resulting in said Airposrter disappearing into the briney and conveniently unlocatable depths? As I recall he/she was transporting said Airposrter over an immemorial, undiveable stretch of water for some equally immemorial reason.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Is this your mate who had a tragic boating accident resulting in said Airposrter disappearing into the briney and conveniently unlocatable depths? As I recall he/she was transporting said Airposrter over an immemorial, undiveable stretch of water for some equally immemorial reason.

and he told me to keep it a secret!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE