Air rifle for father in law and little brother

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Anyone got any recommendations? Brother is 15, most sensible headed young un iv ever known. Looking for a springer for him as a first rifle and a PCP for FIL.

Currently looking at BSA lightning as a PCP and SMK SYNSG? Never heard if the latter but looks fairly decent.
Any advise would be helpful!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Spud, i've got a cheap Chinese one you can have, if its for the lads first rifle, & i'll be in Leic on sunday.

Rob

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Isn't 15 a little old for his first rifle?

not in the real world ;)

Anyone got any recommendations? Brother is 15, most sensible headed young un iv ever known. Looking for a springer for him as a first rifle and a PCP for FIL.

Currently looking at BSA lightning as a PCP and SMK SYNSG? Never heard if the latter but looks fairly decent.
Any advise would be helpful!

Um.. the bsa lightning isn't a pcp bud. It's a full priced- budget performance springer.. and smk are ok low budget guns.

I'd say buy a second hand Weihrauch for the teenager and the same for the fil, pcp's are expensive and a right faff, but any air arms pcp range will be perfexct as a lower priced top end gun.

I currently have this if you are interested, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97869&highlight=

hope this helps!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not overhere, if you don't come from a family of shooters it can be difficult for a youngster to get started.

Rob

Fair enough. I was just a bit confused though as I would have thought he was from a family of shooters; or else would be still older and starting on his own as an adult.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Go into a gun shop and have a look at the range, different guns suit different people. best to get a hold of one and have a go :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
not in the real world ;)....

Ummm. In the real world my grandson got his first air rifle at age 7 and his first semi-automati 22 at age 8. When he turns 12 I'll be getting him a centerfire. For now he'll just have to borrow mine to deer hunt.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Ummm. In the real world my grandson got his first air rifle at age 7 and his first semi-automati 22 at age 8. When he turns 12 I'll be getting him a centerfire. For now he'll just have to borrow mine to deer hunt.

I was also lucky to be introduced by my dad to shooting at an early age, & in return also introduced my daughter & son at an early age, my son fired his first fully auto(WW2 German mg 34)at the age of 8yrs, he's now in the army.

Rob

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

It was kind of a joke but you furthered the truth behind it with giving a child a real gun, not just some air/spring powered rifle. :rolleyes:

Different cultures.. clearly, and even though I'm a solid fan of shooting sports I woulld never give my child a gun like that at such a young age. Maybe at 15, but not 8..

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It was kind of a joke but you furthered the truth behind it with giving a child a real gun, not just some air/spring powered rifle. :rolleyes:

Different cultures.. clearly, and even though I'm a solid fan of shooting sports I woulld never give my child a gun like that at such a young age. Maybe at 15, but not 8..

LOL. I knew it was a joke Samon. That said, by age 12 I was hunting alone with a 12 guage and at age 15 I got my first driver's license and was logging for a Summer job..

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was also lucky to be introduced by my dad to shooting at an early age, & in return also introduced my daughter & son at an early age, my son fired his first fully auto(WW2 German mg 34)at the age of 8yrs, he's now in the army.

Rob

Yeah I too was started by my Dad. He took me bird hunting with him as soon as I was old enough to walk on my own well enough to keep up. I'm trying to pass it down as well.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think you got it right about getting them active in the sports early to make sure they understand handling and just how serious an accident can be. I was given my first air rifle at about 8, and I was shooting them way before that and I play safe. But I would not only be breaking the law over here by giving a child any sort of gun but I wouldn't be comfy doing so if it was allowed. They can play with my guns with me supervising closely (and I'm fairly certian your grandson will also only be allowed to shoot his collection under supervison). I will of course introduce my child to shooting when she is able to lift and safely operate one of mine though ;)

even though my wife is bore when it comes to guns I think if she had be introduced to guns in a less 'criminal'? way she would have a far different opinion on me, my collectiona nd the sport being suitable for youngsters!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's the whole crux of it. It has to be done in the proper conext. It's dificult to undo a spouse's attitude (or anyone else's for that matter) if they've formed a negative opinion early on.

Ironicly, my mother would never allow me to have an air rifle at all! Although she was actually the one who gave me my first gun (her 410) when I was age 3 (I wasn't able to shoot that gun until much later after I'd mastered a 22.

As for waiting until the gun fits; they make guns specifically sized for youths (both shotguns and centerfire rifles)

Here's one I've been watching for my grandson: www.clcweb.net/Shooting/Remington_243/remington_243.html

For this year's youth hunt (it's a weekend long hunt put on by Eglin AFB where-in only youths between age 11 and age 15 can participate) he'll have to boroow one of mine. Hopefully we'll get drawn for a spot on it this year and he'll limit out (the limit for the weekend is 2 deer of either sex and an unlimited number of hogs)

Last edited:

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Its amazing to hear how young chilren are allowed to use these types of weapons. Most kids are not able to comprehend the dangers of a hammer never mind a firearm at 3 years of age. Bit dangerous I think :(

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I just don't understand the paranoia about firearms in this country, introduction at an early age instills knowledge & respect of them, sat at a playstation with no knowledge of the real thing creates a dangerous fantasy around them.

Rob

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
I just don't understand the paranoia about firearms in this country, introduction at an early age instills knowledge & respect of them, sat at a playstation with no knowledge of the real thing creates a dangerous fantasy around them.

Rob

I think not all people are as responsable as you appear to be dude, I agree with what you say but not all children are the same and they wont act the same. A potentionally dangerous situation not necessarily paranoia. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE