Aims and Principles??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hootchi

Settler
The aims and principles that I aim to get from Bushcraft are:

A greater understanding of the natural world, how it works, and a drive to educate others about its conservation.

Realisation for the damage that we, as humans, are inflicting on the planet.

Respect to the countryside that we are using in the practice of these skills to enable regeneration and a continuation of knowledge, the animals and the plants.

An increased knowledge of myself, into the areas of self-reliance, determination and my fulfilment and enjoyment in life.

Conservation, respect, self-reliance and fun.:biggthump

Sorry if this is an incoherent ramble but it is late and I have abandoned trying to work! I think I am actually asleep now! :roll:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Not to sound lazy but I think Hootchi has put it quite well. :super:

Not feeling uncomfortable and out off place is usually how I but it people when the ask what I am doing. Being one with it all if I maybe so bold.

James

jakunen

Native
Enjoying the outdoors and getting away from stressful things (mobiles, computers, PS2, TV, etc).

Relearning respect for the environment.

Regaining ancient skills to preserve them for future generations.

Achieving a better quality of life.

Relearning our place within the world.

Protecting our environment for future generations to enjoy and marvel at.

Simplifying our needs and wants and so creating less of an impact on the world.

Understanding the principle of the theory that LESS really is MORE except in the loss of habita and the creatures we take for granted or in our 1st world arrogant greed for property etc.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Contentment through confidence and awareness.

Learning by observation and questions.

And just a little bit of escapism.

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
A seperation from the mundane. To aquire and master skills that allow me to exist in relative comfort in a bush enviornment. To learn to use those skills to survive should it become necessary in event of emergency,or necessity. To pass on the knowledge that life is doable, and enjoyable without the convience of flipping a switch, picking up the phone, or cookingin a micorwave. To be aware of the bush environs, and conciour of how to perserve them for the next generation of bushcrafters :pack:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Aim: to get people out and enjoying the countryside more in ways they they might not have considered before

Principles:
1) All the skills are learnable
2) ANYBODY can learn them
3) Life's too important not to.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
For me the principle aim (yay! I got that in first!) is to accept nature for what she is, and live with due regard to the place I rely on for my existence.

Greg

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I find my fullest connection with the world and with my own life when I'm in the forest. Bushcraft is what I do to make myself comfortable while I'm there, and what I do to extend the amount of time I can spend there.

Bear

PS: I didn't participate in the recent contest to create a photo or picture that represents the spirit of Bushcraft. But for me that would be a picture of a knife or some piece of camping gear sitting on my desk at work. I have to play this idiotic game to make a living (I think) but even in the midst of it, I'm remembering the woods.

leon-1

Well I have left this up for a while waiting for any more people to post, as many others have said, hootchi has some very good views as do a lot of the other guys, this is the list that I made before you guys posted,

AIM
To be at ease in whatever enviroment that I find myself in, with whatever equipment I have with me.

PRINCIPLES

1. To practice ancient and modern skills in a enviromentally sound way.
2. To be able to use whatever the enviroment provides or equipment that I carry with maximum efficiency.
3. To work with nature rather than against it.
4. To be able to adapt to changes in the situation with the minimum of fuss.
5. To carry out safe practice so as not to damage the enviroment or cause danger to others or myself.

I'll probably have a read of these all again and add and remove bits to my list, thanks for you views and any comments that you have on my own, throw them in I would like to hear them. :biggthump

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
I am a firm believer in adapting aims & principles in whatever I do.
Whist instructing in the Army, all instructional matter had an aim and principles to project the lesson. Although while teaching survival the principles were replaced with “requirements and priorities”, the wording may have changed, but the concept is still there;

• The need to formulate a plan to promote the learning (The Aim).
• The ideology, beliefs and ethics required to assimilate the learning experience (the Principles).

As for my look at “Bushcraft” and the learning of the subject I follow these aims & principles.

AIM

To be at ease with any given environment / habitat that I may be forced into or wonder into by personal choice. To live from that environment, her sacred spirits and her fellow occupants, causing minimum impact to the ecosystem.

PRINCIPLES

• To practice ancient skills of our forefathers.
• To apply these skills alongside modern methods.
• To respect Mother Nature and all her fruits.
• To pass these skills onto my children, so that they can pass them onto their children.

Chip

T

theorsmeister

I guess to sum up, i always thought the most important parts are living in nature with minimal technology.

Causing no damage and keeping nature alive, whilst taking minimal requirements from it.

Understanding nature and our heritage I guess, and not taking too much equipment. Those of us who are stricken with the "obsession" probably want to get back to our roots and crave tranquility in a noisy world of pollution and global inequality.

Hows that for waxing lyrical!?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE