Agincourt

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
No, no, not at all, don't mention it. Always glad to give a heads up on a good book :D Just kidding by the way. :)

I've nearly finished this book now and I can highly recommend it but only if you're interested in history. Otherwise you may find it a bit hard going in places.
There is a description of the seige of Harfleur and then a very good account of the march to Calais when the English were stopped by a massive French army blocking their way which was the site of the battle near the village of azincourt It is really edge of the seat stuff and I couldn't put it down, although a little slow to start with. The French army was so huge that they were blase about winning the battle and taunting the English. The English men-at-arms and archers must have been a bit worried to say the least but Henry V lead from the front and wasn't one of those kings who watched the battle from the side of a hill in a safe spot, he was right there in the thick of it spending time before the battle going round talking to his troops, offering encouragement He was a fantastic leader, extremely brave and strict but fair.
The English troops hadn't slept properly for a few days and had to sleep in the pouring rain in the open the night before the battle. Half of them had dysentry. They were cold wet and ill. Henry had around 6,000 troops facing the French who had around 20,000.
There was a stand off on the morning of the battle before Henry made the first move towards the French and moved forward towards the French lines to a narrow part of the land which was between 2 thick woods. Which was an excellent move as the woods funneled the french cavalry into a narrow point, which made it easy pickings for the English Archers.
The things that won the battle for the English despite the odds was a combination of a few things. The very muddy ground (due to the rain the night before) which with their heavy armour and horses trampling up the ground turned it into a mud bath for the French. The cavalry charged but the going was heavy. The sharpened wooden stakes the English had made the horses turn and run straight into their advancing men-at-arms who were having a very hard time trying to run through the churned up mud with their armour on, so a lot of the foot troops got trampled by their own horses. The English archers (of which there were 5000 from the army of 6000) slaughtered the the French who were funneled into a small gap and finding it hard to advance. It was the minimum requirement for an English archer to be able to fire 10 aimed arrows a minute.
There's loads of interesting snippets about medieval life throughout the book. The books not really Bushcraft I know, but they would have had to use some knowledge of edible plants as they ran very low of rations and I'm sure they would have had flint and steels for their fires etc, etc.
That's it in a very , very small nutshell but I was absolutely rivetted as much as any suspense film. The author Juliet Barker must have spent a very long time researching this from chronicles and documents and books from both France and England and she has a fantastic knowledge of medieval siege tactics, chivalry , tournaments and general way of life.................. Excellent!!

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I'll have to look out for it.

If you like that sort of thing try Bowmen of England. It can be had very cheaply second hand:

The bowmen of England by Donald Featherstone

Amazon Link

Lots of maps and descriptions from 100 years war and goes up to WWII.

leon-1

Sounds good Nick:)

Reading your right up reminded me of a documentary that was on BBC2 a good while ago, they also spent a good time talking about the effectiveness of a longbow when using massive bodkins on the quarrels, which were more like long spikes rather than the broadhead type that is pictured on the front of the book.

They visited a number of old battelgrounds and talked about the battles that the men fought.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Those days were Hardcore, I was a soldier but I couldn't possibly imagine what it was like going head to head against someone else wielding a great big bloody Halbard, pole-axe or the like! real life and death stuff, must have been unbelieveably terrifying especially for the guys in the first ranks.

These days (except in CQB) you would probably not even see the face of your enemy, just a shape in the distance!

UNREAL!!!!!

It sounds like a very good book to read.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
leon-1 said:

Reading your right up reminded me of a documentary that was on BBC2 a good while ago, they also spent a good time talking about the effectiveness of a longbow when using massive bodkins on the quarrels, which were more like long spikes rather than the broadhead type that is pictured on the front of the book.

They visited a number of old battelgrounds and talked about the battles that the men fought.

I think I saw that Leon. There's been a few battle type documentries. One had the scottish guy from 'Coast' (which is also an excellent series) in, and they pitched up their 12 x 12 army tent and investgated the battle sites from all over.
The bodkins were used to pierce the armour and chain male of the enemy. The broad head arrow tips you mentioned Leon (like on the front of the book) were called swallow tails for obvious reasons and intended to be used to fell the horses the cavalry were on. I knew about the bodkins but not about the swallow-tails. There's a fair bit of interesting info in there about life, logistics, techniques of seige and battle, and about Henry V himself and his life. He really was an excellent king and never asked anything of his men he wasn't prepared to do himself, which stands as much today in a good leader as much as it ever did.
Thanks for the heads-up Greg but unfortunately I don't have Discovery and am working anyway :(
You're absolutely right about how terrifying it must have been for the troops especially on seeing how large the French army was. It says an awful ot of how much faith the boys must have had in Henry the king and they actually advance forward first :eek: . He was right up there with them and bolstering their spirits...........What a leader :You_Rock_ Without bringing politics into it I think a certain few people from our present day politicians could have learnt a few lessons from Henry V
Thanks for the recommendation bent-stick I'll get myself that one. :)
I've always loved history and have visited a lot of the castles in britain and the palaces etc. I've always been a fairly big reader too and have read a few history books. I've just started 'Drake' by Stephen Coote http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drake-Life-...2540410?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174431686&sr=1-3 which amazingly is about Francis Drake (there's a statue of him in Tavistock near Dartmoor which was his birthplace) anyway it's great so-far. Another good one is Dick turpin http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dick-Turpin...2540410?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174431742&sr=1-1
Isn't your link the same as mine for Agincourt not the book you mentioned Bowmen of England? :confused:

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
leon-1 said:

Bodkins were the armourpiercing projectiles. If you want to bring down a horse the broadhead, swallowtail or horsegaller, a sort of y-shaped head were favourite.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
bent-stick said:
Bodkins were the armourpiercing projectiles. If you want to bring down a horse the broadhead, swallowtail or horsegaller, a sort of y-shaped head were favourite.
Cheers Bent-stick,
I knew of the Y shaped arrowheads but not the name. They were sharpened inside the Y and apparently highly polished. Then, shot low and flat, the horses would see the glint, and rear up, throwing the rider, soon learning that the edge would badly injure horsey legs if they didn't get out of the way fast. The rider, clad in heavy armour, would be left helpless in the mud, easy pickings later in the battle for footsoldiers wielding "battle-hammers" to cave in his chest piece and leave to die in a very unpleasant manner, or hold for ransom.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE