Agave Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Surprised you haven't had any replies to this post Mario, looks good too, haven't tried cordage myself yet, but that might just nudge me in the right direction.
Nice one!

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Mario,
Great pics and some lovely looking cordage.

Is it agave that can have irritating sap? I remember my brother and I getting some fibres from something like agave on holiday once. After a few minutes everywhere the sap had touched was burning and we ended up sitting in the sea rubbing our skin with wet sand till the pain/itching passed.

Cheers,
Steve

Yes the Agave has saponins in the nectar that will burn your skin... You can cook the leaf for 3 hours at 300 and the saponins are neutralized. I've done demos where I rub the cooked leaf on my face after cooking to proove it works. Thanks for the replies everyone. Agave cordage was what got me into bushcraft and is still what I feel I'm best at.

Best Regards,
Mario

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Agave makes such good looking cordage. I have made it in Brazil but the sap seriously irritates my skin, especially on my forearms. I will cook them next time, thanks for the tip. I got spoiled though, I found a place at the Central Market that sells big bags of the fiber for next to nothing. I bought a lifetime supply.

img3686vt8.jpg

Mac

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes the Agave has saponins in the nectar that will burn your skin... You can cook the leaf for 3 hours at 300 and the saponins are neutralized. I've done demos where I rub the cooked leaf on my face after cooking to proove it works. Thanks for the replies everyone. Agave cordage was what got me into bushcraft and is still what I feel I'm best at.

Great images :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE