Advise for the Wannabee steampunker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id like to set up some camping kit.

my main problem is lack of money...

but Im sure I can do something

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Blankets for bedding
Parafin lamp
Old style wooden camping cot
(Good luck on that one ! Even old ones cost a fortune)
Dutch oven
Castle iron fry pan
Large catering kettle
Tripod
( mine is made from three liberated iron fence pins. The sort that hold up that orange netting fence... no idea what to call them)
An old fashioned canvas scout tent.
A wooden card table or similar folding table
A directors chair.. wood and canvas.
That would be a basic set up. The hardest things to source are the cot and tent.
Junk shops are brilliant for finding such items that might be of use or repurposed.
I bought a cute bottle that was a nice shape perfect for an ink bottle and made a quill pen. I just need a small portable writing desk to complete the set up.
Just use your imagination to consider a character and how they might dress and live on an expedition to somewhere in Victorian or edwardian times then go from there with ideas.
I love trawling charity shops for bits to use. A bit of a problem currently but I'm sure you have lots of bits lying around that could be used.
Oh.. and don't forget the transit van to carry it all

Reactions: santaman2000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
mine is made from three liberated iron fence pins. The sort that hold up that orange netting fence... no idea what to call them

What are these called? I’m after 4 of them for my paraffin lanterns and short of ‘liberating’ a few myself, don’t know what to search or ask for.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
the ones with the hooked top? Road pins, available from fencing suppliers and the like

Cheers chaps. :)

Reactions: MrEd

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Road pins. Got some.

I asked niceley at the council depot. but builders and farmers might have some hanging around.

Reactions: Nice65

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
20200426_141748.jpg
These things.
Mine weigh a ton but are amazingly solid and will take just about the biggest heaviest Dutch oven going.
I got someone to do a bit of blacksmithing and hook all the tops together permanently and also made a hook and chain that can be adjusted for height.
Can't loose any bits then.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I found some good quality copper/stainless saucepans last year on Ebay. (went for a song as they insisted collection only and I was the only bidder...)

But they are a little too modern, -and I want to keep them for best. (They cook beautifully)

I saw a brass bound mahogany case at the car boot but they were asking too much. (they got it too).

Im sure I can scare up something.

The main issue is the tent. Bell tents, patrol tents...all way beyond my pocket.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
You don't have to have a bell or patrol tent, any kind of tent can be dressed up to look steampunky. Canvas is prefered, but not essential.
You can up dress up a cheap gazebo with old tarps, curtains and niknaks.
9eb2aa635c2403c863b5133375f8162b.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Shame I gave away a patrol tent two summer's ago as I had too many tents and couldn't cope with it as it was too big and heavy for me. It needed some repairs as there were a few holes in the roof, but the guy who took it just used a huge tarp for a flysheet to solve the holes problem.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If you can find some canvas, a traditional two-pole A-frame tent, shouldn't be too difficult to make and not too expensive either. Too small for lounging in but fine for sleeping.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Have you thought about enamelware for cooking? I have an old enamel kettle that I often take camping and a coffee pot, also some enamel saucepans ladels and an enamel billy. Then there are plates and mugs etc.
You could put together a good set of kitchen / cookware from those sort of things.

Reactions: SaraR

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Morrisons - Kitchenware: Could be just a local find as product not showing on website.
Copper coloured caddies (copper plate on stainless steel) Spun construction with no seems just like a Zebra pot. Just needs a bail handle added.

Attachments

• IMAG3626.jpg
    IMAG3626.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 9

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE