Advice re: soil condition after removal of large conifer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
After recently removing a large Leylandii type conifer from the garden I would like to grow some veg.

I believe the soil will be acidic because of the shed needles/scales from the tree.

Any advice on acid loving munchies or improvements will be greatly appreciated.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Most vegetables prefer slightly alkaline soil, a bit of lime will do that very simply and cheaply - and it's organic! If you can, add some home made compost. The soil is probably pretty depleted so you'll need to add some nutrients, garden centres will sell you all sorts of different things, depending on whether or not you want to go down the organic route or if you don't mind chemical fertilisers. Personally I'd throw in some chicken manure or seaweed granules next spring.

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
Buy a simple pH test kit from the garden centre, it may be less acidic than you think depending on the base pH of the soil naturally. Most tree waste and leaf litter is acidic, conifer is definatley more so, but if the soil is naturaly alkaline it may be pretty balanced anyway.
Do some research into what you are going to plant before you do much, some veggies prefer soil that is not so fertile, some prefer it fertile, some prefer alakaline, some acidic. If you look into it and test your soil you may not have to do much at all for what you want to plant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE