Advice on poaching laws in the uk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
If I'm not mistaken he's suggesting that you need not be bound by statute law in the UK as this applies only to The United Kingdom of Great Britain CORPORATION. There's a little speach you're supposed to give in the court about denying the right of the court to try you as a human being and a freeman upon the land and upon hearing it they're supposed to say something along the lines of "It's a fair cop guv, you're free to leave!"

Have a Google of TPUC (The People's United Community) there's a fair bit about it on there.

yep i'm not bound to Act's / Statues / Byelaws etc basically as long as I don't break the Common Law I'am free to do as I please in Common Law Jurisdictions ie: New Zealand, Canada, Australia......the common wealth countries.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
british red thanks for the advice but you now bring evan more questions , 1 what is wca ?
secondly you go off on one about firearms like many other s below you , who said any thing about fire arms????? i did not,

Err yes, you did

I would also like to know about goose hunting rules, season, caliber

Calibre? of what? a ferret?

uphold what are the laws about takeing geese, ( foxes you need certian caliber rounds as so the same with deer) so can I use an air riffle

So, in answer to your question (again)

There is no legal justification for hunting wild birds for food

This is irrespective of the means used - although as regards geese, you would struggle to find any legal method of despatch that does not involve a fiream.

Certain species of wild bird (listed under schedule 2), may be killed for specified reasons (e.g. protection of health or prevention of damage), when acting on behalf of the landowner with their express consent. Taking those birds specifically for food is an offence.

So no, there is no legal way for you to do what you want to do

Clear enough?

Red

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
If any folks are reading this post and wish to learn the different definitions of Legal & Lawful such as common law jurisdiction, try googling robert menard,or tpuc.org like Adze said. I could be here forever trying to explain to someone who has it set in their mind what law is when its just a body of words of corporations using a language called legalese that is wrote in english but has different definitions hence the reason why there are law dictionaries......but the definition of the word in the dictionary also you requires you to look at the assumptions then look at the implications to find the true definition.

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
If any folks are reading this post and wish to learn the different definitions of Legal & Lawful such as common law jurisdiction, try googling robert menard,or tpuc.org like Adze said. I could be here forever trying to explain to someone who has it set in their mind what law is when its just a body of words of corporations using a language called legalese that is wrote in english but has different definitions hence the reason why there are law dictionaries......but the definition of the word in the dictionary also you requires you to look at the assumptions then look at the implications to find the true definition.

Hi there, I have googled robert menard and looked briefly at tpuc.org, but could you explain in laymans terms, how all this works, and how it can be used to our advantage ?

Cheers
Lf

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
Hi there, I have googled robert menard and looked briefly at tpuc.org, but could you explain in laymans terms, how all this works, and how it can be used to our advantage ?

Cheers
Lf

I'm gonna get a bigger memory card in my camera and make some video's for you bushcraft folk in layman tems then put it on you tube , just because typing all this would take ages.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
If you go poaching, dont get caught! Otherwise deep do=do.
Poachers standard practice is well informed, studied, take once and move on. Get caught and the law, however folk preach it, aint on your side.
Some poachers take great pride in acquiring game from public places or named landowners, or so I'm told.

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
This whole threadf is getting very messy , so to clear a few points , thanks for the rantings british red a bit full on but very worthy, The whole point of this thread is not to find out what is ilegeal but to find out what IS legeal, twenty years ago I was will to bend/break the laws for a rabbit or two but not today as I am getting to old for it, All I wanted to know is what are the rules on rabbiting on the canals and hunting geese. seems I have hit a very raw nerve amonst a few so , I think this thread should get shut down as some of us are getting a little worked up about a sensible question, many many thanks to every one that has replied to my request, pete

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
you could ask the local councils or farmers -who owns what- and if the rabbits are a menace -undermining banking or eating crops etc- offer your services ,free of charge to ferret the rabbits!! Then once you have permission bag as many geese as you can :cool::D

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Unless you're trying to be obtuse it seems fairly clear that.

a. You can't hunt wild birds in the UK.

b. You can't hunt rabbits with a firearm.

c. You can't hunt rabbits without the landowners permission.

What's less clear is whether you can hunt rabbits with permission with either a catapult, or an air rifle.

Whether you can do this in a place which is public land.

Whether you can trap rabbits with snares.

Whether you can hunt rabbits with ferrets and nets.

Dec 30, 2009
northampton
you can legally kill pidgeon ,greysquirels wild female ducks the brown ones with the purple flash but dont take them from park pond, blackbirds, magpies and rooks and you can also legally eat swan if its specifcally breed for the purpose of consumtion and you aint even gota ask her madge.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the link and the reference BR :)
I freely admit that's the bit that raised concerns for me.

I'm almost at the stage of saying to people on this type of thread, "Prove it", as routine best practice so that everyone's covered, but also so that people become aware of the relevant legalities and where to find them.

Too much heard from a man in a pub, or an old guy with a fishing rod type of information being passed around.

cheers,
Toddy

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
TODDY thanks for that last message, you are the one of the few that has got the idea of the reason why i started this thread, it was not to find out how to poach as i am more than proficcent at that , but how to stay within the laws when out hunting, I started this thread and based it on what i could see, but I have no idea what the rules and regs are, it was then taken over my the likes of many that just started to go off on on ranting away blindly rabbiting on with out any idea of what i wanted to find out

If there was a set of rules that were writen down about how and what with we can enjoy our sports with , it would be great but every thing is so spaced out and hard to find , I evan went up to the local police station and they did not evam know where to start looking, there answer was to get arrested for doing it and then see what the clown prosicusion service comes up with!!!!! alot of help that was

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There is an old view of a single poacher taking one for the pot , in todays market its more like shot guns and hand guns and whole fields of sheep and cows, so one's head is not in the clouds

but what are the modern day rules for the illigeal taking of game, I wish to know what they are so I can be sure not to break them, I would also like to know about goose hunting rules, season, caliber, breed type etc

can anyone help clear away the rumours from the facts??

Forgot to say does anyone know what the rules and ownership are of the canal systems and for the taking of bunnies

HP, the only advice I can come up with is to contact British Waterways and query their policy on rabbit control on their land. I have no idea what their answer might be, but as far as the rules of the forum allow, you'll have to stick by their answer, even if no answer is given as it does not expressly grant any form of permission.

The rules of our land are tightly sewn up in a system of law and the rules of our forum state that we must be seen to obey those laws.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE