Advice on longbow Xmas present

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Hi everyone,
I've been given a composite lemonwood/yew longbow for Xmas (looks like a really nice one- good condition etc). The guy my dad bought it from says it hasnt been used for a few years, and so should be 'broken in' again gradually. I figure I should perhaps keep it strung for a bit each day before I attempt to shoot it - are there any archers out there with any thoughts on how long I should do this before I can start shooting, storage conditions etc? Any contributions of knowledge welcome. Happy New Year Aaron

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Aaron

You better be planning on Field Archery and not that target stuff :wink: (no offence to any gold shooters out there). :)

Have you had a bow before? If not, are you ok at stringing it?

I dont think that I would leave it strung for any long periods, but stringing it up and then flexing it (drawing back a few inches and coming down - gradually, and slowly, increasing the length that you are drawing) for a while may help.

If you have not used bows, please remember not to let go of the string without an arrow on board - as it may damage any bow.

Not trying to patronise you or anything - just dont know your experience.

Where abouts you based?

Rob

Also, as an add-on to the previous post,... If the bow was not varnished, but just oiled or waxed, it may be a good idea to apply warm oil to the wood, as it helps prevent cracking in case the stave has dried out since it was last used. This is only usefull information though, if the bow was not varnished.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE