Advice on handle for SM#1 blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
just got my stuart mitchell #1 blade from a sale on BB, and i'm going to attempt to handle it myself
don't really know what i need in terms of pins, corby bolts, liners etc, and want to try a manmade handle - micarta maybe, or i have been looking at Corian and Rec Stone scales -anyone have any experience with these?
any general advice/tips would be gratefully received - i don't want to mess up the blade with a rubbish handle - i've read the tutorial on here, and it looks within me to do it, just wanted to tap the knowledge here before i start!
thanks

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You could always do what I did, I bought a cheaper blade and asked John Fenna to tutor me whilst I fitted my first handle, now I am ready to re-handle a couple more fancier blades. What I am trying to say is, see if there is someone that lives near you who would be willing to tutor you. That was the best way I found to learn IMHO of course.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
As it's 01 mate. I'd start with a nice bit of wood - that stone is supposed to be a bu##er and micarta all has to be done with dust masks and is not nice to start.

I'm happy to send you some bolts - I'll lend you the counterbore to fit them perfectly too.

I got mine today and I can't wait to get cracking.

It's a shame you're so far away (and yes you are a long way away mate :D ) otherwise we could run them in tandem.

Tell you what - I have some nice ash I'll chuck in too, as you're such a patient fella.:eek:

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
thanks everyone
Greg - very sensible idea - i think i will do that
Bernie - i'm due a visit to my mum in Burton soon, so i will PM you nearer the time
Rich - excellent advice as always mate

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I did this one in corrian because it's a kitchen knife and will take washing and drying with no ill effects

DSC00242-2.jpg

to match my big WS kitchen knife :)

DSC00244-1.jpg

I had a look at one that Stu had finished in blue G10 and he had kept the lines crisp and the edges quite sharp and it really worked so i tried to do the same sort of thing on this one rather than trying to round the edges.

I used it in anger for the first time tonight to slice some veg and it really is a pleasure to use, the blade has already starteed to take on a faint patina due to those red onions.

I love carbon kitchen knives, they develop so much character.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Aye it's easy to work with.
Shape with files and sandpaper then finish sand to say 400 grit followed by a session on the buffer should have it looking well.
It's not a material i like to use on other knives, i know you do see bushcraft knives with it but i don't like it for anything other than kitchen knives.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Aye it's easy to work with.
Shape with files and sandpaper then finish sand to say 400 grit followed by a session on the buffer should have it looking well.
It's not a material i like to use on other knives, i know you do see bushcraft knives with it but i don't like it for anything other than kitchen knives.

rapidboys bang on there, to heavy for a bushcraft knife.

bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE