Advice on deer hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi All,

My son is doing his deer hunting course/exams in November and his birthday is around the same time.
He already goes shooting foxes etc so has a fair amount of kit but I believe he'll want to eventually dress his kill in the field. My question is can anyone make any suggestions for a present for around £20/£25? I'm thinking maybe something for dressing the deer rather than the weapon side of things. All suggestoions gratefully received.

Dave

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Why don't u get the hide professionally done so he can keep it as memory of his first deer kill. U could get in touch with someone and give him a voucher. Just a bit of a different idea

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
If he hasn't a good knife, then a Mora is the business and well inside the range. Also some elbow-length 'cow-molesting' disposable gloves, you get them from farm supply places and they're handy when fishing around to sever the end of the bowel from the anus. Means you can make a smaller cut for the gralloch and not have gore all over you.

A gambrel might come in handy too. You can make them out of timber or buy them at butchery-supply places.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
If he hasn't a good knife, then a Mora is the business and well inside the range. Also some elbow-length 'cow-molesting' disposable gloves, you get them from farm supply places and they're handy when fishing around to sever the end of the bowel from the anus. Means you can make a smaller cut for the gralloch and not have gore all over you.

A gambrel might come in handy too. You can make them out of timber or buy them at butchery-supply places.
Do you not do the anus first, from the outside, pull it out and knot it?? same with esophagus ....well not exactly the same but same kinda a thing

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Do you not do the anus first, from the outside, pull it out and knot it?? same with esophagus ....well not exactly the same but same kinda a thing

I like to reach inside and pop out any loose nuggets, then draw any other stuff back, first. It's also a lot easier to hold the tube shut and draw it out, then to try knotting it - I find it so anyway, I once had a knot slither undone on me. There's also the matter of getting the bladder out intact.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Thanks for all the suggestions, plenty of food for thought (no pun intended - honest) I think books are out as he'll have enough to read in the way of course notes but a knife and gloves sounds like a good idea. Thanks to all of your suggestions. :thankyou:

Dave

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
For £20-25, I'd get him a hip flask. Whilst shooting and boozing don't mix, after a successful stalk and the rifle stashed in it's sleeve and bolt and ammo in the pocket, a wee sniffter is the traditional thing to do, toasting the beast with a pleasant drop.

Demonwolf444

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Ripon, North Yorkshire
Woodland deers stalking by graham downing is excellent and up to date. You can get a tool that is just a piece of plastic used to remove the anus from the flesh genuinely useful. Called a gut puller or something like. Just saves a bit of fiddly time with a knife.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
PS -- Just noticed the date on the OP so ignore reply below (sorry for missing that) hope he passed his exams and his birthday was suitably rewarded :)

something really invaluable for dressing venison (and other meat) and in the price range of around £25 is a proper stainless steel butchers saw, might not be a 'romantic' present but it is a very practical one, and it sounds like he already has a fair bit of ''field'' kit, you can get one for around £25.
115-BUTCHER%20-%20MEAT%20SAW.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE