Advice. Carry On Luggage/rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
I'm off to Switzerland on a lads paragliding holiday, Easy jet is the carrier and they charge 36 quid for checking hold luggage but free for carry on. I'm off for a week so my usual weekend rucksack would be too small so have been looking at carry on luggage. I really don't fancy the trolley dolly style. Any advice or experience of a rucksack which would do instead. If I'm buying a new bag it should at least be able to serve a couple of purposes not just standard flight carry on.

dimensions apparently are 56 x 45 x 25cm for easy jet but BA are 40x30x15cm.

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
I use Easyjet almost weekly and use the trolly style, but thats because its work - but any rucksack within the dimensions will do the job. They sometimes go on crack down and are strict with one bag only policy - also, if its a busy flight they will offer to put it in the hold for free.

There have been a few reviews on here lately for back packs, maybe one of those would suit?
thanks
Tim

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My carry-on backpack on various airlines is Karrimor SF 35 L, either the Predator or the Sabre both come in exactly right size and are well worth having in their own right; never had a problem.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Most airlines allow 2 pieces of luggage in cabin - a carryon bag or case and a small or personal bag, I think the 40x30x15cm size is the new BA allowance for the second item and you are still allowed a main carryon at 56x45x25cm.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Easyjet certainly don't. You get one bag only as guaranteed if it is under the dimensions.

I bought a Maxpedition Kodiak for Easyjet (travel on them regularly) it's just within the size limit. I began a thread about this a year or so ago.

If you have hand luggage bigger than the guaranteed size then they may well take it from you on busy flights and put it in the hold.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1513123

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
Easyjet have started to allow two bags on, however this is only for Easyjet Plus Card holder or speedy boarders. The second back must fit under the seat in front of you (unless you book an exit row and then you can also put it up top).

Theres actually two sizes on easyjet - guaranteed carry on and normal carry on. The larger size is normal and thats the ones that they will put in the hold on busy flights.

thanks
Tim

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Not sure about EasyJet's carry on size regulations but I use a Maxped Fliegerduffel as my carry on. It has one huge main compartment with smaller zipper pouches on the outside and two on the inside. It holds a hell of a lot when packed properly (thanks wifey) and is very comfortable with padded straps and chest harness.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
We've just flown back from Inverness on Easyjet - they have one of those box things you test whether the bag will fit in the departure lounge airside. There were one or two people who were looking very worried when trying (and failing) to get their bags to fit. Easyjet will charge you if you can, so I'd carefully check to make sure the bag is OK. I also had to fly with FlyBe the other day, and I notice that although they made a big deal of the carryon allowance, its actually slightly smaller than Easyjet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE