Acrylic Scales, any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just starting to plan out what to get to use as the scales for my new knife. I have seen some acrylic scales which look rather cool but a bit out there IMHO but i have never handled a knife with acrylic scales so i'm not sure if they would be any good.
An example here
Liquorice-Orange-small.gif
not sure this quite the colours i would go for.

I plan to use my knife when out and about in the woods so I don't want it to be slippy to hold. Maybe I should just stick with wood?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it should be fine, the same as corian or plastercised woods, bone etc.... if your worried it wont be very grippey just dont finish it as much, use a highish grit but dont polish etc...

hope this helps...

chris.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
bit fragile for a hard working knife. I've used it on some small kitchen knives with luck and as parts in a stacked handle. The probelms it has are primarily that it chips or cracks if dropped on a hard surface and it doesn't like heat (melts at quite low temperatures). Corian and the like are much tougher compounds

I personaly wouldn't use it on abushy simpley because of the dropping and shock that the handle has to take

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stick with wood :) or horn... or bone .... or antler ...
I prefer natural materials when out in a natural environment :D
All the tacky plastics in the world may look good, and some even perform well ... but you cannot beat the feel of natural materials :)

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I never found them that much of a problem. I went acrylic as I wanted something to withstand bleach as this si my filleting knife. To shape, it resited my 12" file and my best efforts, so resorted to a demel and 20k rpm! Never even started to melt it.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm going to grab some for razor scales in the New Year. Might throw some on a knife at some stage just to see how it holds up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE