Acorn bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Have been leaching the tannin out of red oak acorns and using them in bread. Everyone who's tried it likes it. Nutty tasting, and even a little sweet.

IMG_0898.jpg

Dip acorns in boiling water for about thirty seconds to soften the shells.

Open them while they're still warm. I use a handcrank nut sheller. A pair of pliers will work.

Dig out the meats with a nut pick or a small screw driver.

IMG_0899.jpg

Boil them in a LOT of water. I use a five-gallon stockpot on our wood stove. They'll turn the first two changes as black as coffee.

Change the water every morning and every night or whatever, until the meats are no longer bitter. Usually takes about four changes, but it depends on a lot of things. It might take a dozen.

The meats will have turned black. Dry them and they'll store indefinitely. They can be used as-is, or ground to whatever consistency you like.

IMG_0901.jpg

I usually make them into bannocks and bake them in a reflector oven. Here's my sourdough recipe, but any bannock recipe will work:

1/2 cup acorns (sometimes I use up to 3/4 cup acorns and only 1/4 cup flour, but you have to appreciate dense, dark bread for that)
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
a little powdered milk if you have it
a little cinnamon if you have it

mix these dry ingredients thoroughly

Fold in:

an egg if you have it
1 tsp oil
enough sourdough to make a stiff mud

Pour into a greased pan and bake

IMG_0902.jpg

Last edited:

ril25

Mar 16, 2010
Hungary
I've tried a few years ago, but after 4-5 water change, it was still awful bitter, and I gave up. Maybe I was just too impatient?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the post :D

I think that the choice of which tree and it's acorns, is important.
Not all acorns are similarly bitter. There are trees near me that I can almost eat the acorns just like nuts.....if you can get them before the squirrels do :) and others that are so bitter that they need a lot of soaking.

Worth the effort to be selective......and plant a few of the sweet ones for the future :D

cheers,
Toddy

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thank you for the post :D

I think that the choice of which tree and it's acorns, is important.
Not all acorns are similarly bitter. There are trees near me that I can almost eat the acorns just like nuts.....if you can get them before the squirrels do :) and others that are so bitter that they need a lot of soaking.

Worth the effort to be selective......and plant a few of the sweet ones for the future :D

cheers,
Toddy

interesting - I wonder if (with a bit of selective breeding) you could produce an acorn that is palatable straight off the tree.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Xylaria agreed with me, and she lives the other end of the country, so we know that there are not-so-tanniny oaks out there.
I think they could be selectively bred, but it'd take time and, well I was about to say there isn't the interest; but maybe there is :)
It must be how fruits and nuts trees were originally selected and planted.

cheers,
M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Xylaria agreed with me, and she lives the other end of the country, so we know that there are not-so-tanniny oaks out there.
I think they could be selectively bred, but it'd take time and, well I was about to say there isn't the interest; but maybe there is :)
It must be how fruits and nuts trees were originally selected and planted.

cheers,
M

Exactly - compare a wild hazlenut with a shop bought one, or a crab apple with an edible, or a pear for that matter. They all started somewhere - sour or small, bitter or poisonous. I wonder how old an Oak has to be to give acorns?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Most interesting post.
So what percentage of the ultimate dough is from acorns? Is your sourdough from the same recipe as the dough or is it a wheat one?
I guess the sour is mainly to add flavour as presumably the soda does the rising like other pan bannocks. I wonder how this mix would
work as a sourdough without the soda but with a bit of time to rise naturally.I suspect it might be rather pleasant so I may have to give
it a go this autumn.
Thanks for posting.
Simon

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Interesting article on edible acorns here:
http://askville.amazon.com/acorns-edible/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=17756711

It would seem in the Americas you can eat them straight off the tree:

Unfortunately, many acorns do taste bitter. This is because they contain tannin, a bitter substance in oaks which is used to tan leather. Real pucker power here. Some varieties of acorns contain more tannin than others. They range from the Emory oak of the southwestern United States and northern Mexico, which is so mild it can be used without processing, to some black oaks with very bitter acorns, requiring lengthy processing to render edible.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm told by the local foraging person that the acorns of evergreen oak, Quercus ilex, do not need processing. I know where there are some local to me, so I'll have to test this idea. They aren't native to the UK, but nor are they uncommon, at least in southern counties.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't know what variety we get up here, but some are bitter as misery and others are fine.
I'll have a looksee this year :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE