Aberdeenshire Places

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
As I am looking to get out more this year I am looking for some places to go and wonder if anyone up this way can recommend some places or routes?

Im looking to probably camp for a night, preferably hammock, but would like to bivy properly if its the summer.

Some places I like the look of:

Loch Muick - Looks like the only parking is on the NE side of the loch. Is there anything near Ballater?
There also seems to be some trees on the SE side near a wee burn.

How long would it take to walk in and maybe pop up Lochnaggar?

Glen Tanar - Looks nice but doesn't seem a walk would last longer than a day. Plus its a Nature reserve. Are there any issues out there?

Also I am up for other suggestions. I have already done the Walk from Linn of Dee to Bob Scotts Bothy but I would like to try the Larig Ghru however would need 2 cars, one at each end.

Cheers,
Andy

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Meant to reply sooner but forgot!

You could camp/hammock at the trees you mention at loch muick but I remember that area as being 1) busy with walkers and 2) littered with human and dog poo and loo roll unfortunately.

When I was preparing for trekking in Nepal a few years ago, I did Lochnagar reguarly. It always seemed to take me 3.5 hrs up and 3 down, but my natural pace is pretty slow, even when fit( which I certainly ain't just now)

The area is still worth exploring though and the wee burn you see has a beautiful waterfall not far from the trees. The house in the trees was/ may be still used by the royals in the summer and has a wee bothy attached which IIRC was set up by the late queen mum and is maintained by Dundee Uni climbing club.

As for Glen Tannar, it's less than 20mins from me and is also very nice. I believe that with the correct attitude, the ranger staff there may be able to offer advice re: wild camping on the estate- I recall someone saying in a previous thread that they have spoken to them in the past and they have been helpful. I'll search for the post later...

A couple of years ago 3 of us walked from Coylumbridge to Blair Atholl to raise a bit of money for charity. We left one car in Coylumbridge and my now wife picked us up and then drove us back to Coylumbridge which was brilliant. Would love to do it (or similar) again sometime. Perhaps we should arrange a BCUK walk?

Hope to see you at the next local meet but if you fancy meeting up sometime for a wee danader in this area, give me a shout.

ATB

KP

Thanks folks, just remembered this thread.

TD - I haven't yet but plan to this year. Dingus Magee was showing me some spots the other weekend which look great for hammocking.

KP - So Lochnagar doesn't take that long. Thats ok. may have a look and see what its like later in the year.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Both Lochnagar and Bennachie are 'traditional' midsummer campsites.
I've bivvied one, tented and hammocked the other.
I'm told that fires are permitted at the Glen Tanar campsite (that's if you like campsites).
Cairngorms is (are?) a big area for a discreet camper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE