AA powered emergency flasher

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

techguyone

Jan 19, 2015
W Mids, United Kingdom
Thought I'd put this out, to see if the bushcraft massive have any ideas. I'm trying to keep all my battery powered stuff to AA size, easy availability, reasonable power, only one size to store etc.

I have a main torch but I'm looking for something I can use that is about the same size as an AA battery that flashes red, like an emergency flasher, I can use for emergencies & attach to my zip or rucksack/pouch etc.

Glo-Toob would have been fantastic - if only they did an AA size (typically they do an AAA one only)

Any ideas/suggestions? I really don't want to have to start carrying around different sizes of battery spares etc if I can help it.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I keep a location strobe in my bergan. Takes two aa batts there is a civilian version. It flashes white, though jas an ir or blue filter. But if it was to mark my position for an emergency,would use white. Do you definitely need red? This is what i have.

http://www.kitmonster.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/107_111/products_id/655

+1

Although I would ask if you really need to carry a separate device when a decent torch should be standard kit anyway? Most modern torches have a decent flash function now.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Not AA but... APALS? They run off a coin cell (not made to be replaceable but can be)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have it as a separate item as with fresh charged batts in it will sit unused for a month and still flash for 8 hours, tested myself. Where as a torch used over a few nights will eat into batteries an flash for an unspecified time. Most flashimg torches tend to do so on full power which while bright munches power. And being omnidirectional the strobe can be left to flash away for hours. I used to have a cone which fitted onto a tiny fenix torch which worked well, but again ate batts, you can of course direct a torch onto something to give a less directed flash. You have yo find what works. I use the stro e as it is sealed in a ziplok, fresh charged batts and tested every trip, it works and I'm happy to rely on it. :).

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
For strobe/glo tube type things
I use my standard AA maglite with iq switch, led replacement bulb and the orange glow thing that goes on the end ( fits any 1 inch light), then has strobe etc.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I use the Firefly as well but one thing to watch out for is that they seem very prone to coming out of the pocket for use only not to work because the batteries are done. Now, I've never been able to catch mine flashing in my pocket but, of course, the IR cover is usually over the light. However wrapping some tape around the body of the strobe so that it secures the big switch in the off position has solved my problem!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE