A year in the life of a forager....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Recently started foraging in a big way, so I thought I might do a running photo journal as I go along if anyone's interested...
Up to around 15 new edibles in the past fortnight, but I'll post new images as I take them :)
It is not intended as a reference guide. It is merely a general visual guide. Books are your friends!

Two for starters...

Spoon leaf scurvy grass-Cochlearia anglica. Coastal mud flats-Traditionally used to prevent... scurvy! Slight mustard powder taste.

paajb.jpg

Velvet shank-Flammulina velutipes. Damp woodland- Stem feels like antler velvet. Good eating.
CwF3Y.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BEARDMASTER

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cool :)

I'm not going to have time for a blog sadly at the mo... My days start at 10am and finish at 2am :p Wish I had taken the camera out last week now, but bear with me!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Great idea Al ! We can add some Dartmoor finds at the end of March , us will go on a wander .

Don't forget to wipe that mouse poo off the velvet shank !

+ 3 for sticky .

Ivan...

P

Passer

Really looking forward to this.
Hoping for lots of ideas.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
No problems... It ties in with me having a dabble at photography, building up my own database and sharing stuff.

I'll be back out with the camera Tuesday as I'm visiting family this weekend, cheers, al.

FelixAvery

Oct 17, 2011
Scotland
great idea for a thread! maybe it would be hijacking but perhaps other foragers could join in adding their own pics of interesting edibles?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Sure... Its an open forum :)

Common/sheep sorrel-Rumex acetosa. Open pasture. Tastes like granny smith apple peels.
t8q7P.jpg

Jews ear-Auricularia auricula-judae. Prefers elder. Makes a great pickled mushroom! (steam for 10 mins or until soft before pickling)
QOZUe.jpg

Wild chervil (young cow parsley)-Anthriscus sylvestris. Country lanes-Prolific (be aware of hemlock water dropwort) good with mash/fish.
HLo1o.jpg

More tomorrow...

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Some coastal stuff...

Sea beet/spinach-Beta vulgaris subsp. maritima. Salt marshes. Steam or eat tender shoots raw.
omqOR.jpg

Alexanders-Smyrnium olusatrum. Coast to a few miles inwards. Acquired taste, I like it.
The spring shoots (cotyledon) are great in salad.
Ycif4.jpg

Ribwort Plantain-Plantago lanceolata. Prolific. Go for the young, tender shoots. Average but edible.
LRuiS.jpg

Charlock- Sinapis arvensis. Your garden!- Prolific (be aware of ragwort) tastes like cabbage heart.
tT6zW.jpg

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Few more today...

Chickweed-Stellaria media. Really like the taste of this. (Be aware of Scarlet Pimpernel)
my4q2.jpg

Horseradish-Armoracia rusticana. Now this stuff packs a punch :)
KjLuB.jpg

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Few more... St Georges mushrooms any time now :)

Common mallow-Malva neglecta. Deep fried to make a type of crisp or used traditionally in Molokhia soup/broth.
6uHUJ.jpg

Hairy Bittercress-Cardamine hirsuta. Not actually bitter (or hairy) more very mild green peppercorn. Nice.
hTXRN.jpg

Sea Plantain-Plantago maritima. Tastes like garden pea shell. Found on salt marsh in abundance.
LUOxk.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 pot hunter

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
New one today...

Ground Elder-Aegopodium podagraria. Tastes like sweet celery leaves. Introduced by the Romans (as was parsley of alexander)
Taken on a bridal path on the edge of woodlands.
hhwfY.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE