A.Wright & Son, Bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick senior

Jul 25, 2006
Leicestershire
Has anyone come across the bushcraft knife made by A.Wright & Son.It seems to have all the qualities of a good knife at a reasonable price.Any comments on pros and cons of this knife. Check out www.penknives-and-scissors.co.uk/shop

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Andy was trying to do a deal with the makers, one concern was the large area between the start of the edge and the handle. It is quite large and the blades were gonna be reground to make the edge come closer to the handle. I can't remember what the outcome was, it may be worth PM'ing Andy.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Andy sells blades from Sheffield, MOD survival knife blanks, Green River blanks and a few kitchen blanks too. You pay him and he sends them to you, you put some nice scales on and show us what you've done! They are good value and Andy is a good guy. he posts on here regular enough but you will find him more often over on British Blades.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have one of these knives, it's not bad for the money i have to say, i had to address an issue with the bevel when i initially received mine, only a short time spent at the stones rectifying the problem though, but apart from that no problems, holds a good edge and is comfortable to use, throws sparks off a spark stick like crazy.

The area between the blade edge and the scales on my knife is quite short, see below picture.

knives.jpg

As you can see it's shorter than my RM Wilkie and my Shing, the measurements of the ricasso's are 5mm on the AJW knife, whereas on the Woodlore Micarta it's 9mm and the Shing it's 12mm.

By the way, it's a tad cheaper here http://www.jls-wednesbury.org/id52.html:)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I think they've reduced the size of the ricasso on most of them now.
It's worth noting that the website you listed is their own so has full RRP so they don't undercut their own dealers.
With so many other bushcraft knives I haven't used my test sample much and I doubt I can get enough sales to get trade price so if you want one let me know

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
There was a thread on this knife a while back..

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24977

I think it is good knife. I also have an Alan Wood woodlore - and I still think the A Wright is a good knife.

There is also this one..

http://www.randrsheffieldcutlery.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=101

Not sure if this is the same knife or one very similar.

Apparently there are guys on the BCUK site who could make you a "better knife" for the same price - so it might be worth check specs and time scales in the makers section of the forum.

I am personally looking forward to getting one these…

http://www.skookumbushtool.com/

bit of a waiting list though

mick senior

Jul 25, 2006
Leicestershire
Still not sure about this knife,that's the problem with Internet shopping you can't get a feel of the product before you buy.

I take it that this knife has a scandigrind with no secondary bevel.

I guess when buying a knife it's either get what you pay for or wait for ever and a day for some to make it for you.

There is just to many choices in life!!!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
When i bought mine i was told that if i wasn't happy with it i could return the knife for a full no quibble refund

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
That's what I was told when I bought mine.

The only problem you have is whatever knife you buy someone will come along and make a comment and you will start thinking "have I bought the right knife, is there a better one out that I could have bought" - that's how come you end up with several knives.

The A Wright has a flat, single bevel and is a good knife.

In my opinion the only real difference between the woodlore and the A Wright is the handle and the angle of the bevel. I haven't found the angle of the bevel a big issue when using it though. The handle is the main difference. The A Wright handle isn't shaped like the woodlore and it isn't as polished. But again I haven’t found that a problem. The A Wright when being used does not feel any more or less comfortable in the hand than the woodlore.

If you want to buy one knife that you feel is the best for bushcraft and you won’t feel like there is one that is better out there, then “good luck”. Everyone will give you different advice – there are plenty of people who think the woodlore is too big and heavy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE