a worrying trend towards orthodoxy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Interesting thread...

Being a military type - and therefore obsessed with kit, I lurked and then joined to see what other, more experienced types were using (the contract for military kit tends to go to the lowest bidder - although, it has to be said, that there has been some improvement, especially in the personal dessie kit issued - apart from the boots of course - so what's new!)

I have learned a huge amount and have found some gems from makers on here - ranging from a JoJo Nessmuk (my every day user - from skinning rabbits, to my crude attempts at carving) to Warthog's Crusader cup lids (my vote for best value item found so far).

I, initially went with the flow and bought some items that, now, rarely see the light of day - namely: Zebra Billy's (all of them!) - great for boil in the bag or brews, but - my skills in cooking over a fire - led to burnt bottoms and cold tops; so now I favour the Tatonka range with their wider bases (1.6L is perfect for 1-2 people and the lid doubles as a wok/ plate). I still use Wayland's 10cm/ Morrisson Hobo outfit for brews on a day out though.

As far as cutters go, I initially went for a Stewart Marsh Bushcrafter on Ebay and whilst it is beautifully made, I eventually found it too thick for it's length and now favour JoJo's Nessmuk. I never bought a GB SFA as I wanted my axe, primarily for splitting (for the home woodburner) so my axe is a Roselli - which I'm in the process of pimping (I've polished the head and the handle has just started a three week soak in linseed - watch this space). I've also experimented with a Leuku/ Pukko combo which has been excellent in pine/ softwood forest - I am currently looking for a similar combo to be used in the mixed forests of Britain.

So, in summary, I'm a huge admirer of educators - like RM, Mors and more than a few people on here, but...kit is always about horses for courses. You've got to start somewhere and eventually you get to what suits you.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I dont have much kit as I cant afford it but I do try to buy quality when I can.

I have a mora but who doesnt?

Ah, Tengu. A friend found an interesting entry in an early 1800's journal that you might find interesting.

"Too poor to buy cheap goods"

Such few words that convey so much thought! And so often true!

A Mora? I keep hearing people mention a Mora. It's some kind of Knife, ain't it?

I spent a bit of this afternoon making another 1685 era French Iron-Handled clasp knife. It does the work I need it to.

And I'm getting really impressed with how well the couple all wrought iron Trade Axes that I made are holding up - and without any added steel cutting bit. These were based on some of the first cheap trade axes brought over to North America to trade to the Indians back in the 1600's. They were quickly replaced with axes that had STEEL cutting bits welding in - because they held a sharp edge longer. But these soft iron axes are holding up pretty good - and exceeding those "old wives tails". Yes, I do have to sharpen them more often, but no where near as much as everybody thought. Ditto the all wrought iron trade knifes.

Sorry to ramble on so.

In the end, all the kit and gear are far less important than knowing how to use them. The "right stuff" just makes it a little easier. And relying on "gimmicks" can quickly get you into trouble. Simple basic gear along with the knowledge of how to use it is often the best approach.

Just my humble ramblings. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Pick up a copy of backpacker magazine, gear tests issue is the worst!
You are a bum if you don't have the latest and greatest! 1st wool , then Poly pro, now merino wool! chasing there tails for sales! While a lot of the stuff I have bought, some RMish, some your choices , most my own, I notice evern though we tend to have a lot of the same stuff, it seams to be more "Classic" , tried and true. Almost to the point of being a new Tradition!
This doesn't mean your not a true Bc'er without. It just means it what works for most but by no means its the be all and end all!
I have 9 axes! Don't ask how many knives, stoves,tents ,tarps,rifles,fishing rods ...etc...
But i would never look down upon some one with lesser gear! ( in fact I would be envious, because that person doesn't no what he/she is missing as far as gear goes, nor are they the Gear Junkie I am )
Like I said 9 axes, and I think I've just ground them all!
thanks for Listening.
Kev
:)

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I got loads of kit, most from my job......:)

about 6 axes, non Gransfors, although i do have a wetterlings/Husqvarna :confused:

Knives about 8 or 9, user - Helle Jergemester, although i have just made 1 from a blank i got of evil bay and some wood i had lying around for a few years.

About 3 or 4 rucksacks........................none snugpack or the like.

My cooking pot i made from a stainless steel tea caddy from a cheap shop.

I dont wear a brimmed hat, wear Fjellraven or any other special brand, i wear what i can afford and what 10 years as a ranger tells me works in the field.

Saying that,

Does it matter......................i think not.

As long as "You do what you like, and like what you do".

Mark

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just had a lok through my kit and found some interesting things....
As part of my life I am a gear reviewer for several outdoor mags so I get to play with lots of kit that I could never afford to buy (mags do not pay that well!) and have tried loads of different kit over the years.
It is therefor quite suprising (to me at least) that for my bushcraft activities I often end up wearing "the Uniform" Ventile/Fjallraven jacket and trousers, Swanni shirt, Tilley hat etc and using the "Uniform kit" Mora, GB SFA, Laplander saw, RM hammock system, s/s pots and so on...
I guess that it must be that the kit works as I have ample oportunity to wear/use other kit - my house is full of it!
I also use a Hobo stove, home made pots and spoons cups etc but have a Jet Boil various Trangias and fancy copper bottomed pots, all of which get the odd airing when circs are right.
The "uniform" is something that works, is seen to work and therefor gets used by many.
I find the "uniform" so comfy/suitable for street wear as well, and my non outdoorsy work, so I wear it most of the time and, looking through old photos, have done for many, many years...
Mind you there are lots of wierdos in West Wales so I fit right in!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Slight thread divert "Any old motorcyclists/bikers out there will see the onset of MZcred. Those of us lucky enough to have experienced the joys of Eastern Bloc motorcycling at its best took/take pride in making do. Hand guards, pah, old cut down washing up bottles or oil bottles do the job just as well - preferably not even washed out. I have seen fairings made out of old sestate agents signs hot moulded and cut to shape. There will always be those for whom only the 'percieved' best will do, simuilarly there will be others who revel in seeking out the cheapest or making our own."

Yes I remember it well, never had one, 2 strokes were not my bag but I did appreciate them. My favourite was a pink one with pink foam hand grips which was given out as the service bike at weevee the morini and ducati dealers. My cousin worked there and reckoned it said a lot about people their reaction to handing over their ducati 851 and climbing aboard the mighty zed some were horrified, some came back with a grin from ear to ear...genuinely the mora knife of the bike world, cheap enough to enjoy using without worrying about, a return to the basics of what we do it for.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
'Who cares?'!!!???!!! Whaddya mean, 'Who cares?'!!!

There are 62,577 posts on the Kit sub forum as of 1645Z on 29 January. Loads of people care! Or, this thread would not be on it's second page and heading towards its third.

WE. LOVE. KIT. Shout it out aloud! Don't be scared!

And we like to talk about kit. People like to think that they have made the best choices in their purchases or in what they have constructed and will argue that their stuff is better in some way than someone else's. We love to compare what we use and wear. Perfectly natural - and this would be a boring site if we didn't.

The point is that no-one should be ashamed of wearing a 'uniform' or of being a bit orthodox! We (BCUK members) like to think we're a bit different and I think we get a bit sensitive when it is suggested that we're not perhaps as 'individual' as we like to think we are ('Life of Brian', anyone?). But so what? What's wrong with being part of a group and having an identity? I quite like being able to spot fellow bushcrafters in the street/woods and I would rather be associated with this group than many others. I'm quite proud, in fact.

We often aspire to the popular - but possibly quite expensive - items that are well regarded within these hallowed forums - and long may it continue. Frankly, while I have seen many admirable home-brew items, I have also seen some dreadful rubbish. Just because you've made something yourself doesn't mean it's automatically better than a shop-bought item. Many of us don't have the time - or inclination - to build something for ourselves but we are no less worthy because of it.

So, come one everyone! Group hug!

There - that's better now, isn't it...? Yay!

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
SPRINGMEET.jpg

FM-Meet1.jpg

I think it's fair to say there is a bit of a uniform that turns out at meets, it's green and wears a wide brimmed hat.

Having said that a lot of the kit is chosen because it is fit for purpose which most of the gear sold in "outdoor" shops in this country frankly is not for our use. (Think synthetic and fire..:eek: )

Until I joined this site I struggled to find decent kit that I had not made myself. Now I am busier in my working life I have less time to make stuff and more money to buy stuff, so go figure, I buy some of the gear I see recommended here and like it.

Having said that I still adapt it to my own use. My Zebra Billy became part of my Hobo Stove, My Swannie had the breast pocket removed and reindeer horn buttons and sliders fitted because I preferred them to the plastic ones.

Even though the raw ingredients of our kit are made by the few manufactures that satify our needs, the end results are as individual as the people on this community.
theres some right funny looking folk there and I no most of them:p

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
the way I see this is that you pick your kit for what you do mainly,my kit would on the whole be no good to some and theirs no good for me, we do 85% mountain works, hill's, crags rocky areas, so a woodland kit wouldn't be much good for me, I don't need a big axe as there isn't many tree's to chop down on a cliff so I only have a small power axe, and I also need a fuel stove, have a hexi stove which I love as I have a cooker anywhere. Now a kit set up like some of you for large percentage of woodland use would be a waste of time for me and mine would be a waste for others.
Yes I agree theres bit's of kit that we all use and doesn't matter what we do. but I have never met a better group than on here.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
As an example, I bought my Laplander saw back when the brand was called Sandvik, and many years before I'd ever heard of "bushcraft" or "Ray Mears". It's simply a really good tool. I was looking for a folding saw for wild camping, and it fitted the bill perfectly. How was I to know that it would end up becoming "fashionable"? ;)

And that's not the only bit of kit I've bought only to find out later that it was endorsed by Mr Mears...

Me too! I bought two 'Laplanders' for £8.00 (the pair) from the bargain bin of an ironmongers in Tunbridge Wells that was closing down. That was several years before the Sandvik Laplander received the public RM seal of approval. Before that, I had been a great fan of the old 'Bridgedale' folding saw for years. Incidentally, I can get the same Bahco saw as the Laplander (identical blade, but no leather thong) in a really tasteful 'bushcraft orange' for £14.99 from our local garden centre.

Fashion? I spit on fashion! For me, the compelling reason for not wearing a Swanndri (apart from them being ludicrously expensive for what they are) is a strong desire not to look like all of the other t***ers who call themselves bushcrafters. :)

Burnt Ash

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I've got the orange version of the Laplander - much preferable in my opinion, as it's a lot harder to lose... ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thought provoking thread :notworthy
I'd guess that some of my kit fits the 'got to have' type thing but a lot doesn't. I have a GB axe - but not a SFA, I have a wide brimmed hat - I don't like my vision constricted by hoods and water's gone down my neck when I've worn a baseball cap in the rain :umbrella: etc,etc,etc.

Most of my kit is fairly old now - tried and tested :D and not just by me.
I took this pic whilst I was waiting for the water to boil this morning. Although the pack (Karrimor 'Hot Route') might look new it's about ready to be replaced - Bought in the early '90's and the fabric is failing. On the karrimor's lid are the removable lip of my mug, the cap of my collapsable cup and my SIGG pot lifter. The pot lifter was bought because I kept having problems with the bog standard Trangia handle. The mug on the gas burner (pre-coleman take-over Alpine) is an '85 Pattern mug not a Crusader - and I've no need to replace it with one either. The ally bottle was given to me by my father-in-law and I believe that he'd had it for something like 50 years :eek:. The small(ish) cup in front of the mug was, again, given to me - it belonged to my Father-in-Laws father. The green bag on the right of the shot is a Ditty Bag (now more commonly called a possibles pouch) that started its life as a H.M Forces boot cleaning kit..
Hopefully, other than the soon to be replaced rucksack, the kit in the pics should last for many more years (and could out last me too!) and I freely admit to taking pleasure in the 'uniqueness' of some of my kit.

s2020203afo0.jpg

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Fashion? I spit on fashion! For me, the compelling reason for not wearing a Swanndri (apart from them being ludicrously expensive for what they are) is a strong desire not to look like all of the other t***ers who call themselves bushcrafters. :)

Burnt Ash

Thanks.

From one of the Swanndri-wearing 't***ers'.

Just seen Waylands pictures, I think I don't want to go into the woods any more, full of scary people! ;-)

Errm, this uniform thing, I've just read another post about clothing and kit for mountains being different to woodlands kit. If you hang around mountaineers for long enough you'll notice that a lot of them look the same as each other.
So;

I have Bushy kit
Which makes me look like a Bushcrafter

I have Mountaineering Kit
Which makes me look like a Mountaineer

I also have red and black kit with Mountain Rescue written on it too
Which makes me look like, er, a Mountain Rescuer......

I'd like to say that I have trendy street clothes too which makes me look like a complete t@sser, but I've spent all my money on Bushy and Mountain kit.

I think the point I'm trying to make here is that kit is generaly made for a specific purpose or use, and looks that way. So Bushcrafters look like Bushcrafters and Mountaineers look like Mountaineers etc

Oh, and my MR Team Leader has asked me not to bring axes to Mountain Rescue events, something about 'not the right image'.........

EdS

I have Bushy kit
Which makes me look like a Bushcrafter

I have Mountaineering Kit
Which makes me look like a Mountaineer

I also have red and black kit with Mountain Rescue written on it too
Which makes me look like, er, a Mountain Rescuer......

I'd like to say that I have trendy street clothes too which makes me look like a complete t@sser, but I've spent all my money on Bushy and Mountain kit.

I think the point I'm trying to make here is that kit is generaly made for a specific purpose or use, and looks that way. So Bushcrafters look like Bushcrafters and Mountaineers look like Mountaineers etc

Oh, and my MR Team Leader has asked me not to bring axes to Mountain Rescue events, something about 'not the right image'.........

Think I've just found my long lost twin:lmao:

Long lost twin? at last! someone else who knows what it's like to go through school with a bright ginger hair, buck teeth, mismatched eyes(one blue, one brown, both bloodshot) and 6 fingers on my right hand!
Come home long lost brother, we'll even forgive you for the incident involving Mother and the soup ladle............

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
:
Long lost twin? at last! someone else who knows what it's like to go through school with a bright ginger hair, buck teeth, mismatched eyes(one blue, one brown, both bloodshot) and 6 fingers on my right hand!
Come home long lost brother, we'll even forgive you for the incident involving Mother and the soup ladle............
lol:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :thanks:

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
And what is the definate trend with members of the bushcrafting fraternity who wear sandals? Definate Jesus complex going on there.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
Hi Landy Dom

From what I've seen out there, it seems that the people who've not been at it for long go for the kit which RM uses, This could be because RM's been using it and he knows it works and is good quality T......

be careful - though i have a lot of that kit and most work pretty well some are not as durable as you would hope and sometimes a cheaper option can be the better on balance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE