A word about charcoal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 18, 2009
Lancaster
Hi all,

I'm new here but would just like to pass on to members a little information about commercially available charcoal and especially charcoal briquettes.

I used to run a small business selling various sustainable fuels and things like woodgas stoves (I think I was the first outlet for the Spenton LLC woodgas stoves in the UK)

One of my products was charcoal which was made by a coppice worker in woodlands a few miles up the road in the Lake District. I'd done a lot of reading about commercially available charcoal prior to stocking this stuff, and to be honest I was horrified by some of the "ingredients" that go into charcoal briquettes to make them burn and stick them together. These include things like borax, ammonium nitrate, coal dust and limestone amongst others - NOT things I'd want to be cooking my dinner on!

Even with traditional lumpwood charcoal there are problems. The majority of it is imported - and although the situation has improved somewhat in recent years, there are still places selling cheap charcoal that has been produced from the wholesale destruction of mangrove swamps and so on for development or projects like palm oil plantations. There is also a fair old trade going on in the re-bagging of cheap charcoal - often from eastern Europe - to make it look rather more attractive. Much of this stuff is poor quality with a low conversion to carbon - a lot of what charcoal makers call "brown ends". This results in a much smokier product amongst other things.

When I first used the locally made stuff I was blown away. I'd piled it up as I'd had to with the previous garage forecourt type stuff to get any decent heat. It lit really easily, was up to cokking temperature in about 10 minutes, and I actually ended up taking the food off the grill and leaving it to burn down for a good 40 minutes as it was too hot to get anywhere near! The food would have been on fire before the inside got warm. This stuff will light using a few scrunches of paper, and the heat output is incredible, with hardly any smoke at all due to very high conversion to carbon when it's made - around 30% more than much of the imported stuff.

For those of you interested in this - I'd recommend having a look at Ian Taylor's website at www.lakelandcoppiceproducts.co.uk where there is much more information. I would urge all BCUK members using charcoal to have a think about this and make their choice accordingly. There is a growing network of charcoal makers in the UK, and they are finding that once people have tried their home grown product, they tend to stick with it. As well as being a FAR superior product, it's also helping to keep these guys in business renovating neglected ancient coppice woodland. Better for wildlife, better for the planet and better for us too.

Cheers all,

Andy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
When I lived in Cyprus I used to buy my charcoal from a local boy who did it himself up in the mountains, the quality was far better than the rubbish you get at the forecourt.
I'd agree totally, support the local guy where possible. I much prefer a good lumpwood to cook on, the difference is staggering.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cheers for that - very usefull info!
I am currently making my own charcoal - so far I have produced 4 kg - from my hedge trimmings (bits that were destined for the bonfire) cooking them in a sweetie tin on my livingroom fire.
I am also trying to use local charcoal from Pembs national park - but this is harder to find outside of the BBQ season (I want to use the carcoal for metal forging) - as I realise that I will need more than my hedge will provide.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Fantastic information, very interesting.

Like many things, it would be good if people supported the "local guy". Unfortunately, many (most?) see the price of products made far away, in lands that care little for their environment, and buy it instead of locally produced stuff. We buy cheap and without conscience.

waterman

Nov 1, 2009
twickenham
I struggle to buy any charcoal out of season. I would love to buy from local producer in surrey/berks/hants areas if any one knows a supplier. Need some at moment.

Dec 18, 2009
Lancaster
Sadly, Susi has hit the nail right on the head.

Having said that, I think the biggest obstacle to overcome is getting people to give the local stuff a try to start with. Once they realise that although it costs a little more, they need to use much less and have a much easier time lighting it etc, many of them tend to become "converts to the cause" which can only be a good thing. I sometimes feel a bit like one of those evangelical preacher types - I know I bang on about it - but I really was that impressed with it. It wasn't like using a different sort of charcoal - it was like using a different fuel altogether.

The same sorts of things apply to firewood as it happens. Many people are swayed by offers of cheap logs and end up with blackened stove glass, sooted chimneys and little heat as some people are happy to sell green logs as "ready to burn", and take the money and run. Once they've had decent properly seasoned logs from a supplier, they will tend to stay with them for years.

Personally, I won't sell anything I wouldn't be happy to use myself in my own stoves and so on. I have a little part time business supplying boats on the local canal with various products and services, and I regard my customers more as friends than as sources of income. Okay - I'm not likely to get rich off the back of them, but I sleep soundly at night knowing my customers are happy with whatever they have from me.

I think I'll probably get the charcoal sales up and running again for this season and hopefully convert a few more users! I've also found a fairly reasonably priced courier service now that would make mail order a more attractive proposition.

Anyway, if I've got anyone to just give charcoal a little more thought, then job done as far as I'm concerned!

Cheers to all of you,

Andy

Dec 18, 2009
Lancaster
I struggle to buy any charcoal out of season. I would love to buy from local producer in surrey/berks/hants areas if any one knows a supplier. Need some at moment.

Hello mate,

Have a look at these guys - they are closer to you and have plenty to say on the subject - very good website with details of some outlets in your area. They may be happy to deal directly with you as it's out of season - worth a shot anyway.

http://www.dorsetcharcoal.co.uk/home.htm

Cheers,

Andy

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
The same sorts of things apply to firewood as it happens. Many people are swayed by offers of cheap logs and end up with blackened stove glass, sooted chimneys and little heat as some people are happy to sell green logs as "ready to burn", and take the money and run. Once they've had decent properly seasoned logs from a supplier, they will tend to stay with them for years.

we do alot of firewood at work. our firewood is all seasoned hardwoods, mostly ash with some beech, oak, hazel, maple and birch mixed in. people don't realise how much work is involved to get it from standing trees to firewood.

first the trees have to be felled, snedded, cut into length, extracted, stacked at the yard, seasoned over 2 or 3 years, cut into tipical 6-8 inch rings, split by hand, loaded into the truck, delivered and oftern stacked in the coustomers woodshed.
all for £70! when you cut out labour, fuel and keeping the saws in order probably only £20 of that is profit:eek:
hardly good for bisiness! yet we still get the odd naging complaints that they are too expensive or that some are odd shapes and sizes:mad:

my boss has sent away all new firewood customers because we just cant make any money out of it.

pete

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Funny you should say that........... SEEDA are currently offering capital grants for businesses involved in wood fuel or related products............ I am looking to sort myself a charcoal kiln out but I need to fill the paperwork out, anyhow I am too busy with firewood and hedgelaying at the minute so probably wont get round to it until the summer

Dec 18, 2009
Lancaster
Aaron - you do need to put your prices up mate! Demand for firewood has gone through the roof in recent years, and a quality seasoned product should command a decent price. Without wishing to have a go at anyone in particular, the whole market is being undermined by people doing it as a hobby or part time pin money earner for very little return. A lot of the arb guys are getting cranky about people offering to do "tree surgery" for nothing in return for taking the wood away, whilst many of the genuine tree surgeons would actually charge the client to take it, or take it for nothing but charge the right rate for the job first.

A proper tree guy with proper insurance and proper training couldn't afford to be doing pro work just for the timber - the figures just wouldn't stack up.

There have been a lot of people thinking they could buy a woodburner and then run it for nothing, and a lot of them are going to end up disappointed I'm afraid!

Round here bulk bags from a big concern are going for over £80 each, and it's the same in many places around the country. Many suppliers have also sold out of seasoned stuff before Christmas - people who start haggling over the price just get turned down flat by many of them - they don't want or need the hassle and have no problem selling stuff at a price that makes the job worth their while. Don't sell yourself short fella!

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best of luck with it :D

It strikes me as a lot of work but if it becomes part of the seasonal round of your livelihood, it might do very well.
Especially since it seems that more and more people are becoming conscious of just what dross those bags of cheap stuff contain :sigh:
It would also appear that the environmental damage their production and use causes, those cheap bags don't really come that cheaply after all :(

How about firelogs ? Anybody got a good environmentally neutral recipe for them ?

I agree that peat from established peat hags, not the wholesale strip the moorlands type for growbags, is a very pleasant fuel to use. If everyone changes to that though........

I grew up in a time when every house was heated by a coal fire. The world was a lot dirtier then. It might well burn hot and cheerful, but it can be filthy smoke and ash.
Washing that got caught out in a rain shower had to be rewashed, the air was so full of soot that the washing was covered in dirty grey streaks. No wonder life expectancy has really improved.
I still like a coal fire though; don't really do it outdoors tbh.
I do use the fast start charcoal :eek: Might see what else I can find instead.

cheers,
Toddy

Dec 18, 2009
Lancaster
I've not done any scientific experiments or anything - but I'd suggest that good quality home produced lumpwood charcoal may be "even faster start" than the commercial fast start stuff which is soaked in paraffin or some other petrochemical product. My charcoal guy makes a big point of the fact that his stuff doesn't need gallons of lighting fluid or anything else to get it going - a few bits of scrunched up paper and a bit of a draught will do the business every time and it will be ready to cook on within 10 - 15 minutes. Hardly any smoke either due to the fact it's avout 90% carbon as opposed to about 60% for a lot of the imported stuff.

I really would urge anyone using charcoal to just give the UK stuff a try - you won't be disappointed.

Incidentally - good lumpwood charcoal, apart from being very light in weight, will make quite a metallic chinking noise as you pour it out of the bag or knock bits together. It will also absorb moisture from the air and so should be stored somewhere dry for best results.

Cheers,

Andy

Dec 18, 2009
Lancaster
Have any of you guys on here used Swedish log candles? Haven't seen them mentioned on here so far.

I used to sell quite a lot of them at one time and still have a few knocking about.

Like this:

06112009743.jpg

They can be started with a bit of kindling on the top, or alternatively the ones I sold had a hole bored down part of the way with a tiny bit of firelighter dropped in - about the size of a Coghlan's firestick broken into three bits. Mine were produced from dead (not rotten) softwood logs. They would burn for probably a couple of hours, could be cooked on in the early stages, and would burn down until practically nothing was left. Got to be better than paraffin and/or wax soaked stuff. And of course, being produced from bone dry dead wood, they were very light to carry as well.

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some folks make them when they're out and on a site with dead standing pines and the like.
We pack the slits with birch bark resinous bits of pine and other 'extenders'. One of those wee tea lights in amongst that lot helps a dampish log along. The wax melts into the tinder and then it all burns.
Lidl's and Aldi's sell them or two to three pounds in season.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE