A walk to the Looe...pic heavy..!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Went for a walk to looe along the coast path today.. Had a great time, what a beautiful walk... Spring is well on its way now and life is showing all around.
Walking down the lane to the coast, there were many plants in flower and many edible leaves. Along the cliff path there were many things to tempt us. The gorse was smelling lovely. We met a few friends along the route, including a dung beetle, a few ponys, a robin and a bird I do not know, (please see below)
Anyway, a few photo's of the walk..

Red campion...
Walktolooe.jpg

Harts tongue fern...
Walktolooehartstonguefern648x486.jpg

Common sorrel... (yummy)
WalktolooeCommonsorrel648x486.jpg

The coast was looking good at low tide, but there was a lot of haze about..
Walktolooe041648x486.jpg

Dung beetle..
Walktolooe-2.jpg

Amazing webs on the gorse..
Walktolooe-1.jpg

Wild ish ponys..
Walktolooewildponys.jpg

A very friendly robin..
WalktolooeRobin.jpg

Anyone know what this bird is..?
Walktolooe049648x486.jpg

Looe island..
Walktolooe-3.jpg

Arriving at looe..
Walktolooe075648x486.jpg

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Lovely. Just shows how mild the South West really is. There is a nice camp site just by where you took some of the photos. Highly recommended for family camping (not bushy though).

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Love the robin picture. What a handsome little chap! I once walked from Plymouth to Looe to meet an old friend called Lee-anne. She was a real beauty and well worth the walk!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Love the robin picture. What a handsome little chap! I once walked from Plymouth to Looe to meet an old friend called Lee-anne. She was a real beauty and well worth the walk!

Thats quite a walk to meet a girl Spam.. Glad she was worth it...

Cheers guys..

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I think your mystery bird is a female common stonechat (Saxicola torquata). The males are brighter coloured with an orange-red breast and darker backs.
The only other loolalike is a whinchat (Saxicola rubetra) but these fly to africa in winter.

Cheers,

Tom

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I think your mystery bird is a female common stonechat (Saxicola torquata). The males are brighter coloured with an orange-red breast and darker backs.
The only other loolalike is a whinchat (Saxicola rubetra) but these fly to africa in winter.

Cheers,

Tom

Whinchat was suggested by someone actually... Here is a very blurred shot of the male. Camera was on full zoom and I was having trouble focusing on the birds...
Walktolooe050648x486.jpg

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
An interesting point about over-wintering in Africa though it does look more like a Whinchat.? There again with the shift of seasons and the other early specimens which you're photographing at your southerly tip.....?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Tis a femaile Stonechat, as the Winchat not only has a white band on it's throat, but also over it's eye

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Tis a femaile Stonechat, as the Winchat not only has a white band on it's throat, but also over it's eye
I thought that's what I was picking up on the latter pics but when I scroll back to the original it's not apparent at all. You're probably right ;)

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Great photos Jonny. That bit of coastline is home to me, though I often see it from the kayak too.
I was out over the low water springs on Friday and Saturday gathering mussels, surf clams and even a few scallops at extreme low water (and with waders on). I had hoped to fish on Sunday, which would have given us a total of 3 free meals over the weekend, but sadly I couldn't get out of DIY.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Great photos Jonny. That bit of coastline is home to me, though I often see it from the kayak too.
I was out over the low water springs on Friday and Saturday gathering mussels, surf clams and even a few scallops at extreme low water (and with waders on). I had hoped to fish on Sunday, which would have given us a total of 3 free meals over the weekend, but sadly I couldn't get out of DIY.

Nice one, its home to me too, I live at Talland. Am into paddling too, canoeing, often go up the fowey (oysters there) or the looe river. Planning to go to the island at some point this year...I am going to do some sea fishing too, have been very much into course fishing in the past, but do not know that much about sea fishing..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE