A very wild dinner ( THE TIMES )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Just brousing through the times page 38 Quite an interesting Dish of the day ---Macaroni with Door mouse and Thrush sauce Ingrediants : 1 edible door mouse -8 thrushes--1 kg skinned tomatoes--1 clove of garlic 1 onion--chopped parsely and basil--half glass of dry red wine salt and peper 1 red chilli peper-- macaroni. method -- kill and Skin doormouse and remove inards cut doormouse into pieces soak for an hour in half water and vinigar mix then rinse Kill clean and pluck the trushes soften the chopped onion and garlic in lard in a casserole dish add doormouse and thrushes and brown them add red wine when the wine evaparates remove the meat add tommatoes salt pepper parsely basil and not forgeting the red chilli pepper add lid and cook on a low heat for 20 mins return the meat and cook untill tender Boil pasta in salted water drain and searve ------------- This dish may require carefull fire managment if any one tries this in the woods I thought it was an ammuzing artical so I though i would shair with you"s

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Very different, but IMO slightly irresponsible as the Song and Mistle Thrush are not so common these days and I’m sure someone will have a go at it!

Kris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don`t think I`ll be trying that one, I would much prefer to listen to the thrushes song than eat one.
Don`t even like macaroni cheese - had a bad experience at school once and deposited my macaroni lunch all over my blazer and shoes.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Please every one this thread is not ment to offend I love wildlife and would not harm any animal The artical posted is for light hearted banter again I will say sorry if it offends Ihave only forwarded it on from an artical from the times that i found amusing I do not condon the killing of any animal for fun

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Please every one this thread is not ment to offend I love wildlife and would not harm any animal The artical posted is for light hearted banter again I will say if it offends Ihave only forwarded it on from an artical from the times that i found amusing I do not condon the killing of any animal for fun

None taken at all John. I don't have enough room for mice on my plate anyway, its currently full with hassle from a well known company on strike at the moment :(

Kris

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I know the French and Portugese hunt even the tiniest birds and suspect that the majority of European countries do the same.

Isn't it being anthropomorphic to feel differently towards a thrush than a pheasant for instance?

Just a thought :rolleyes:

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I know the French and Portugese hunt even the tiniest birds and suspect that the majority of European countries do the same.

Isn't it being anthropomorphic to feel differently towards a thrush than a pheasant for instance?

Just a thought :rolleyes:
Don't the french serve sparrow's? I saw it on a jeremy clarkson programme. You had to eat it whole whilst being under a blanket or something..

Nothing like the romans of course.

"Larks toungs, Badgers spleen's. Ocelot's eyeball's...."
splitters!!
:lmao:

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Don't the french serve sparrow's? I saw it on a jeremy clarkson programme. You had to eat it whole whilst being under a blanket or something..
They eat Ortolan Buntings which are related to sparrows. I believe that they net them, fatten them up and then drown them in cognac before cooking them.

Well, if you had to pick a way to go...

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
They eat Ortolan Buntings which are related to sparrows. I believe that they net them, fatten them up and then drown them in cognac before cooking them.

the comment was from a Catherine Tate sketch and the word is actually in the english dictionary and if they do that then they are :nana:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE