A trek through the northern Chilterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
This last weekend I was out assessing a Silver DofE group from a neighbouring Explorer unit, may be it was not the most technically challenging route but an expedition is also about achieving something and they certainly collected lots of evidence for their project work. I did wonder at times if they should have had a study of golf courses, on the first morning they walked around Mentmore and they seemed to crop up regularly over the next 3 days :)

After the Aylesbury plain the day ended with a trip up Ivinghoe Beacon

Image0191.jpg

The following day they visited Pitstone before crossing through Wiggington parallel to the Ridgeway but exploring less trodden paths to reach our county campsite at Asheridge. Having been a bit grey all day it decided to rain.

P9020261.JPG

I was regretting my decision to stop over rather than go home for the night! However having the luxury of car camping I had brought my new Tatonka tarp to play with. Being a "hammock boy" I have not actually slept on the ground since the BCUK Foundation course last year!

P9020258.JPG

P9020259.JPG

And the pine cone candles came in useful for keeping the flying beasties at bay

Image0198.jpg

The last day saw another change to the weather and we were back to clear skies and some serious sun for the trip via Great Missenden, Coombe Hill, Chequers and Great Kimble back down to the Aylesbury plains.

The reason for posting was to show that even relatively close to home, with some thought and planning it is possible to still have an experience that is worthwhile, challenging in an interacting with your environment rather than a "we walked a long distance" way .

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I get down to the Outdoorshop just outside Mk, I'll have to get out and have a wander one day :)

I'm certainly guilty of being eager to travel, sometimes staying closer to home is worthwhile.

The pics are small still Peter, as I've not found the zoom function on Chrome yet, I'm struggling :)

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I get down to the Outdoorshop just outside Mk,

Unfortunately they are far too close to me, almost walking distance, and part me from far too much money!

The pics are small still Peter, as I've not found the zoom function on Chrome yet, I'm struggling :)

Sorry I hosted them in Picassa where the default link is a thumbnail and it resizes using html code the forum does not seem to like, open to advice though :(

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I know the area well and often walk around it. It is so close to the built up south east and yet feels so remote and unspoilt. In fact I was around last weekend and walking through Asheridge. Small world.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Unfortunately they are far too close to me, almost walking distance, and part me from far too much money!

Sorry I hosted them in Picassa where the default link is a thumbnail and it resizes using html code the forum does not seem to like, open to advice though :(

Sorry Peter, I'm no help with that. I'd use Picassa more if I could work out how to resize on the forum :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE