A tree id please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I have been having a read on tree identification nothing too studious, but whilst having a bimble along a soon to be lost bridlepath I spotted this tree am I right in thinking it may be a Lyme ??
dc65f2a5a569b1aace5d1f949876617e.jpg
e7fede59f3f4860c51bab6b5e83a0b1a.jpg
fe870f68b42e8a853cf6f1cab232c4d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great ID pics which allows me to say it's not Lime.

What it is exactly I'm not sure. I've seen similar but I'm damned if I can remember what it was :duuno:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lime is Tilia sp., like basswood here. The leaves of all the species are slightly heart shaped as awarner points out.
Where the margin of the leaf joins what becomes the petiole, the stem of attachment to a branch, the two sides are uneven. Most characteriestic.
None of our willows (Salix sp)have such toothed (aka "dentate") margins and all have much more slender leaf profiles.

Something makes me want to say beech, if not elm or hawthorne.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
It was the smooth bark and the soft furryness of the underside of the leaves that made me think lyme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mystery for me, it isn't Goat Willow, the bark is wrong. Your little tree looks more like Whitebeam. If it is, look after it, they look fantastic with their silver leaves. Whitebeam and Beech are my favourite trees. :eek:

The only thing holding me back from Whitebeam is the bark and growth pattern, it doesn't look right.

I found a Piittosporum up on the South Downs today, I spied it because it was wrong for the environment, probably why you saw yours. Got in close and found bunches of dead flowers at the base. The one I found mis probably a pet burial where the owners just don't understand the natural flora and fauna.

Last edited:

Trotsky

I've taken to using an app on my phone called "Trees of Britain" to help me learn how to identify various trees. I've found it very useful in the past but, after a good long look I've not found for definite anything that 100% resembles what's in those photographs.

ganstey

Settler
I'd go with Goat Willow too. This is because I was trying to identify a tree with identical features, but much older (trunk was about 6ft diameter). Sent some photos to the dendrologist at work, and he identified it. Apparently the little leaf-bud-like bits between the leaf stems are the give-away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE