A tiny triumph

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For today's lunch I enjoyed a home grown melon - all achieved without artificial heat :)

A very small win in the scheme of things, but I enjoyed it!

Melon1 by British Red, on Flickr

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Yes I can see how you would feel a sense of achievement and pleasure in that fruit of your making (is it a fruit or a veg, not sure:eek:).

We'll done, glad you enjoyed it.

Rorymax

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup in an unheated greenhouse late in the season after I had taken the staging out. I'll start some earlier next year and perhaps wire train them as in the melon houses of old. I'm saving seeds from this one, so if you want a few, let me know!

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Around here people would set the fruit on top of a coffee can ( had tobe a metal one). the can was warmed by the Sun and then transfered to the fruit. As a side benefit keeping it off thr ground reduced the chance of rot.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I'll be trying again next year, in a cloche, and on the kitchen window cill, as it faces SW. I will take you up on your kind offer, it may increase my chances of success. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Let me have an address in a week or so when I have processed the seed fully and I'll send you a few :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a lot more fun than the current preserving chore of baby carrots......been at it four hours and many more to go :(

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well done Red, Pineapples next year? Will dig out a recipe for cold melon soup for you, very nice it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE