A survival story

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Good read thought I was a bit confused as to why he was found dehydrated if he was on a canoe trip.

In that sort of situation I'd have risked the water without boiling it

Very interesting, the following comments were even more!

I think the best one was a reply to a comment that not a lot of people would be able to do as well as Mr Lavoie as their lifestyle didn't prepare them for such an experience.

Geeze even with the loss of flush toilets, many would perish in a week or two from constipation!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good read thought I was a bit confused as to why he was found dehydrated if he was on a canoe trip.

In that sort of situation I'd have risked the water without boiling it.......

Who knows? He might well have done just that and the dehydration was a result of the ensuing diarrhea.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The story just raises more questions than answers. Especially looking at Lake Matagami in google maps.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
According to a report I read he waited for three days after the bear ate his food before he killed his dog and ate it, bit premature perhaps there.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
On BCUSA there has been a post made which has clarified much of the original story. Rather than repeat what was said, I've copied the post below, and for anyone wishing to see the original, it can be found here, post #44: BCUSA thread

Lots of lively discussion (and more accurate facts) being discussed on the CanoeTripping.net thread. Seems like the english language papers are getting some of the facts wrong (eating his dog after 3 days, bear destroying his canoe). A poster by the name of Sturgeon translated a french article that seems to be a better account - the paddler was armed with 2 rifles and the bear didn't destroy his canoe - just stole his food bag. He didn't kill his dog 3 days later (source was some guy on twitter) but near the end of ordeal 3 months in. After the bear "attack" in August, he continued down river, hunted & fished for food for nearly a month. Then he got injured, couldn't portage, the weather turned, matches soaked, boots froze & he had no means of fire. Here's a repost of Sturgeon's writeup with square brackets being his personal comments...

La Frontiere - Cinq tentatives pour sauver sa peau

Five tries, to save his skin
Injured and starving, Marco Lavoie made five attempts to make his way back to civilization and save his own life.

Having navigated two thirds of the Riviere Nottaway, between Lake Matagami and the village of Waskaganish, the adventurer injured his ankle.

On a remote river chock full of rapids that needed to be bypassed by carrying everything on foot, the injury left him in deep $£!+.

Misadventures

Mr. Lavoie left on the 17th of July on a two month trip with his dog, to descend 230 km [143 miles] on the Nottaway River to Hudson Bay.

After an uneventful month, his campsite was attacked by a bear. The bear damaged some of his equipment and stole his food bag.

But all was not lost. Armed with two rifles, he managed to hunt, trap and fish. He continued to descend the river. Two thirds of the way down the river between Lake Mattagami and the village of Waskaganish, he injured his ankle badly. [Doesn't say exactly when.] There were dozens of portages to do, and the banks of the river being steep (25-40 feet high), it was too painful to portage. So he stopped for one month to heal the ankle.

[So after a month to heal, we're talking at least late September, I guess, if not later]

The worst was yet to come

All his attempts to continue descending the river--which was starting to freeze up--failed. Finally he was forced to stop and wait for rescue, since the most difficult section of the river still lay ahead.The helicopter pilot, Claude Richard, says, "It was a good thing that he stopped at that point, because he wouldn't have been able to continue in his condition. Just below that point, there was a very rocky rapid, dropping 5 metres over 3 km [16 feet over 2 miles]. He would never have arrived at the end of that rapid on the right side of the canoe" [I like that expression]

In time, food and ammunition became scarce. Hungry and incapable of obtaining food, he was forced to kill his German Shepherd to eat it. In spite of that, for one week before his rescue he had nothing to eat. An SQ officer (provincial police officer) Benoit Coutu, says, "With the weather and storms, his tent and sleeping bag were torn and wet. He had no matches". His boots and socks were also soaked. He took them off to try and dry them, but without fire, and with nighttime temperatures around -10C (14F), they froze solid, rendering them useless.

The man was finally rescued more than three months after the beginning of his trip. While being taken out of the forest, he expressed to his rescuers his wish to get a new dog and train it for search and rescue work in the bush.

[so i'm guessing late August the bear attacks, late Septmber he hurts his ankle, mid October he kills his dog. Last week of October he has nothing at all to eat. Rescued end of October]

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
There is a lot is muddy reporting still going on.
A lot of mistakes were made, the biggest, being told of the inherent dangers of the river and responding with It doesn't scare me...bad so very bad
Next was no plan, schedule, no exit date....
Next no partner (human), on a dangerous water way
I am not sure of his real level of experience... easy to stretch your abilities, even to your self

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, that timeline sounds better, as the first set of reports made no sense.

Still being alone and with no method of communicating seems rash.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
One more thing that sticks into my mind, the bear took/ate his bag of food. For a 3 month trek that's a lot of food, a really big bag, he wasn't being resupplied (no notice or itinerary). Also what was the dog supposed to eat, my dog (sandwich), eats at home about 40lbs of food per 6 weeks, out on the trail a lot more. So what was the dog going to eat? That would be at least 100lbs, stored in the same bag....not even
I have a lots of questions, few answers, something is wrong or being covered up??????

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE