A storm-proof lighter which can weld?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I've just stumbled on to this - a gas lighter which is wind proof and is so strong you can use it for welding equipment.

I confess to being a smoker (roll-ups/pipe), I have, apart from bics, zippos etc - just in case you are wondering what I was doing googling for lighters.

Indeed it would be embarrassing, to say the least, to start a thread about a lighter - at the most a bic - but this lighter can weld and fix equipment! That's weird - but maybe very useful.

Of course, if it doesn't have a little window to show how much gas's left, it's dodo.

Anyway, I found it curious.

EDIT: checkout this version http://www.turboflame.co.uk/TForiginalRubber.php

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I have one of those! My father in law kindly bought me one.

It was advertised as "Hot enough to cut a drinks can" (whoopty-do... so can the scissors on my SAK!). It's a pretty good lighter though.

Cheers,
Steve

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Is it as good as a zippo in the wind?

If it can be left in a pocket for more than a week without use and its fuel hasn't evaporated away then its still better than a Zippo.

I would go as far as to say that other than for wind protection, even the potheads lighter of choice the humble Clipper is better than a Zippo cos it lights more fires between refills.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
These have been about for a while now .in fact I had one 12 years ago.

They are great for lighting your fags/pipe in the wind and you may get away with a bit of soft soldering,but thats it.

So if you are looking for it to weld or braze,forget it

GS

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
If it can be left in a pocket for more than a week without use and its fuel hasn't evaporated away then its still better than a Zippo.

I would go as far as to say that other than for wind protection, even the potheads lighter of choice the humble Clipper is better than a Zippo cos it lights more fires between refills.

That's why I only take out the zippo on windy days - that - and the fact that I don't like cigarettes which taste of exhaust fumes:yuck:

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179

Two years now Harry without problems. I've had a Primus power lighter = failed, Silva Helios = failed

buy a couple of these for £1.85 each delivered and save some money mate.

Yep i had (in i still legal own it :( ) calibri extreme, supose to be the best lighter yarda yarda. Look the dogs manageries and worked a treat for all of 2 days, 3 months later i still havent received a new one or the one in service. Dog egg. So a dealextreme couldnt be any worse.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As for Turbos welding - they work very well for welding plastic canoes!
One lives in my canoe repair kit and has been used to weld holes in Coleman canoes back together at the side of the water.
When I practicaly destroyed the bow of my Alan Bridges Birchcreek 16 off the Pembrokeshire coast it was having a turbo in my kit that allowed me to dry out the damage and get the Gaffa to stick everything back together, making it possible for me to finish the day without a trip in a helicopter!
These are the only lighters that I have used that will weld pastic in a controlled way (thanks to the narrow flame), keep burning in a gale and not go dry from evaporation in storage!
I have written very positive reviews of these lighters in several magazines and I realy rate them!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've got two of these too.... :rolleyes: They just work! and have done for a while. I think I've only refilled one of them once after a 4 day trip so I should probably check them but I used one on Saturday and again it just worked.

Like 'em a lot!

Cheers,

Alan

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Well thinking that the quality of these had obviously changed,and due to the seemingly positive experiences you have all had,I ordered 2 of one type and one of another with a stand.

Not relevant here really but I also ordered several other items including a cover for my mobile.

The order arrived today so excellent service in that respect.
However on filling the lighters : 1 leaks from the fill valve and the other 2 will not stay alight longer than a few seconds even with the lock on.
So 3 faulty lighters,in short they are crap:rolleyes:

Not only that but the mobile cover does not fit properly and appears to be twisted.
More crap.:rant:

So in truth,have any of you had a positive experience with this company because I personally would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

Lets see how they resolve this situation and whether they can redeem themselves.

GS

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I tried ordering them, but they want a U.S. Paypal account. I only have a U.K. one and don't particularly want to create another.

Jim

That's strange. I have a belgian PP account i.e. dot "be".

But when I sign in the url changes automatically to dot "com". I've never encountered that problem. BTW - still waiting for mine.

Gunslinger, which lighters did you get - those from dealextreme or those from turboflame?

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
That's strange. I have a belgian PP account i.e. dot "be".

But when I sign in the url changes automatically to dot "com". I've never encountered that problem. BTW - still waiting for mine.

Gunslinger, which lighters did you get - those from dealextreme or those from turboflame?

The ones from DealExtreme

One of these
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1320

and two of these
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179

Not one of them works so if your are ordering these,I did tell you.

Also a cover for my Nokia N95 total waste of time.

Good luck

GS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE