A sticky on common shotgun and firearms questions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Is there any call for a sticky covering the most commonly asked questions on shotgun and firearm ownership and use?

I can see that the same questions come up time after time, for example the application process, forms, cabinets, "Good reason" etc?

I could put together something covering rifles for small and large game if there is any interest.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
i could be wrong but if we have one for knives (i *think* we do but not sure), one of "hunting arms" (pistols/B+A/rifles/shotguns/catties) probably wouldn't go amiss.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Erm ................................no.
There are shooting fora available on internet.

I'm not proposing turning this into a shooting forum, rather a list of links and the answers to a few on the basic questions.

There are three posters asking about their first shot gun on the first page of the "Fair game" forum. :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
do it, do it, do it....:rolleyes:

having just been told i now have a full rifle license, to make it easier for others is what we are all about, is it not????

do's and dont's, reasons, land permissions, its all a bit confusing, especially if you have no real experience with rifles or shotguns.....

i vote yes, its a good idea, and also yes, catties should be included, seeing as they have a higher FPS rate than air rifles but have no real laws or controls governing them..

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm not a shooter, but this idea seems consistent with other usage on the forum, regarding knives and axes and so forth. Seems a good idea to me.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Och, I concede, knives and camping are discussed on here a lot more than bushcraft nowadays so why not shooting eh? I have heard that golf is very popular too.
At least there will be more topics for discussion.

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Personally, I would not be in favour of it, I think our internet filters at work would start catagorising the site as a weapons site and block it. That would be a bad thing.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
I don't want to cause any friction chaps.

I was merely thinking that perhaps of all the subjects pertaining to bushcraft generally and wild food more specifically, firearms need the most careful guidance given.

Perhaps I should just put a post on this thread with the information and what will be will be.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
I think we can do a little better than that for our members. Pointers to information with a little extra human touch. :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It'd sure help me to have a good trusted port of call for some of the basics, everything you mentioned in paragraph 2 post 1 really. If anyone has an understanding of the areas of refusal of a licence, I think that could help, so many folk have convictions from years ago that might not stand in their way.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
It'd sure help me to have a good trusted port of call for some of the basics, everything you mentioned in paragraph 2 post 1 really. If anyone has an understanding of the areas of refusal of a licence, I think that could help, so many folk have convictions from years ago that might not stand in their way.

this is a trickier area than would be covered by the general sticky.

Have a read of chapter of this : http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/police/firearms/HO-Firearms-Guidance.pdf?view=Binary

Chapter 12 specifically.

If there is no statutory bar to a grant of licence then the best thing to do is to call your local police firearms team. They are best people to ask as they are the one's to be making the decision.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE